is a production monitor essential for the web? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Major Player

is a production monitor essential for the web?

I have been trying to learn the basics of color grading with a copy of the color correction handbook by Alexis Van Hurkman and Da Vinci Resolve Lite. However, my 15 inch laptop cannot display all the Resolve panel so now I am looking for a better monitor. Most of my work is for the web so I was wondering if it is essential that I use a production monitor?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: is a production monitor essential for the web?

Yes, if you are serious. If you don't have much money, take a look at the Dell Ultrasharp series, which is an okay tool for learning. I would recommend an Eizo or NEC minimum for serious learning. You should also intern at a studio that has professional suites and Setups.

I also recommend you look at Photoshop. It's easier and a lot faster to learn when working with stills. It has an unbelievable range of tools. It will also teach you well on how color is handled in photography, and this I believe is solid grounding (but many might not consider it essential).

Hope this helps.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you for your reply. This is my first year in college. I think I will go with your recommendation and go with a dell ultrasharp just for learning purposes. Maybe something like this would be fine?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829236-REG/Dell_469_1137_U2412M_UltraSharp_24_LED.html
or this?

I'm just hoping it would fit all of Da Vinci Resolve Lite.
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Trustee

I should have been more clear. Ultrasharp has many options, but this is the 'minimum' acceptable:

If you have the money, I highly recommend the

These are factory calibrated, but you'll still need a calibration system to learn, like a http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=calibration&linkCode=ur2&tag=sareesh-20&url=search-alias%3Delectronics.

If all this is expensive, then don't buy anything at all until you save up. It won't help, and will only add to your frustration later when you realize they aren't good enough.

The last thing you'll need is a room where you can control the lighting. Try to get a monitor hood as well.

To answer your question about resolution, Resolve is optimized for 1920 x 1200, but will work well on 1920x1080. Check http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/medi...nfig_Guide.pdf for reference.

All the best.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Major Player

thank you... I'll take your second recommendation with the 27 inch. I'm always an advocate of getting something good the first time around.
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Sareesh, do you know how that Asus PA238Q compares to the Dell u2410 that you mentioned? Thanks
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
If all this is expensive, then don't buy anything at all until you save up. It won't help, and will only add to your frustration later when you realize they aren't good enough. .
That advice should be knitted into a sampler, croched onto pillows, tattooed on forearms...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software