How do I know my monitor shows me the correct picture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Major Player

How do I know my monitor shows me the correct picture?

Hi.
I am using my Sony FS100 camera along with my Swit 7" inch LCD monitor. Mainly for focusing and framing but also to judge exposure and white balance.

I notice, however, that the picture on the FS 100 LCD screen varies from that of the Swit LCD monitor. In both contrast, brigtness and warmth in colour. And that is sometimes frustrating to watch.

I am seting my exposure using zebras set to 100+ and using Doug Jensens picture profile PP2.

Does anyone know which monitor to trust? Or is this impossible to judge in all cases?

Any advice appreciated.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do I know my monitor shows me the correct picture?

First thing is to calibrate the camera LCD and the swit monitor. That should make them close in terms of brightness, contrast and color to your eye. It won't affect exposure or focus assist features such as peaking or zebras. Do some Googling around for how to calibrate your monitor and camera based on the type of color bars they produce.

I find that I can trust my eye on my camera LCD and zebras in the field for basic exposure. I use my monitor's false color for critical exposure if I have it with me.

For focus, the larger external monitor plus expanded display feature of the camera make it a slam dunk.

YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software