DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* $300-660 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/514026-lilliput-monitor-ips-led-720p-7in-300-660-a.html)

Arman Bohn February 20th, 2013 02:05 PM

Re: Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* $300-660

Called them and actually spoke to someone. They claimed that they would call Lilliput and bring this to their attention and get back to me.

I'll report back here ...

Panagiotis Raris February 22nd, 2013 11:59 AM

excellent; thats the only issue that bugs me; rest are all T2i output related (lag between connection and start/stop recording display times).

Steve Varnell February 25th, 2013 10:37 PM

I have this same model and did an unboxing on youtube.
I have the same criticisms, but overall I am liking this monitor. Why you guys are so interested in the pixel in pixel mode? Also, for me the black and white background on the red focus assist function is way more defined than in color mode. I do like how I can see the digital zoom (my camera passes it along) also on this monitor. I guess it should pass it along since it records that way too. I too would like a faster start-up. 6 seconds is quite a long time, especially since in the field if you are shooting all day you want to be turning it on and off to save batteries. I really would love to have a larger and RGB histogram. I wish it had RGB parade too. I also get the garble when switching in and out of pixel in pixel mode. Last small gripe would be a dedicated volume adjustment for the audio vs taking over one of the 4 knobs.

Panagiotis Raris February 27th, 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Varnell (Post 1781104)
I have this same model and did an unboxing on youtube. 2013-02 (Feb) Lilliput 663/o/p 7" Unboxing - YouTube.
I have the same criticisms, but overall I am liking this monitor. Why you guys are so interested in the pixel in pixel mode? Also, for me the black and white background on the red focus assist function is way more defined than in color mode. I do like how I can see the digital zoom (my camera passes it along) also on this monitor. I guess it should pass it along since it records that way too. I too would like a faster start-up. 6 seconds is quite a long time, especially since in the field if you are shooting all day you want to be turning it on and off to save batteries. I really would love to have a larger and RGB histogram. I wish it had RGB parade too. I also get the garble when switching in and out of pixel in pixel mode. Last small gripe would be a dedicated volume adjustment for the audio vs taking over one of the 4 knobs.

focusing mostly, regarding pixel to pixel mode; i like to check i have focus right, whatever my DOF may be, and waiting to shut down/restart takes time and is irritating. startup time is also irksome, but so is the T2i output flashing on the screen for 6-8 seconds when its first recognized. Ditto on histogram size, but no biggie. Its also very oversaturated IMO, but these are minimal complaints.

I used the Ikan VH8 my friend now has; its awesome in its own ways, love the side monitoring gadgetry, but its just almost as dim in sunlight as my old Manhattan LCD HD089B's that i sold (which were also 1024x600 at almost 9" diagonal with VERY slow response time). If it werent for the T2i low res output and constant resolution changes and concurrent lag/output switching down time, i would love it; but thats the cameras' fault.

Its pretty darn crisp and bright versus other, older field monitors ive used. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Manhattan LCD, which served its purpose and was great at the time. I also have an iPad 3 i use to show work to clients, and most cant tell the difference when i am using it, although i can, which is a good thing IMO. Frankly for $300, i think its one bit of kit that will scale up nicely with newer, better gear than the T2i's i am using now.

Steve, do you use Canon DSLR's with yours? i have no audio output from lilliput monitor if connected via HDMI with magic lantern (i may be missing something or have a setting incorrect). I also taped off the tally light leads, and plan to replace the power/tally dongle with my own 'power only' option, direct to a multi-output DC box.

Steve Varnell March 1st, 2013 10:54 PM

No I don't have a Cannon camera. I did notice the volume (default) is at zero. You have to dig into the menu and assign it to something to adjust it. I wished the volume was a separate dial, especially since this has an internal speaker (which can be quite a shock on set if volume is up and there are no headphones connected).

Phil Murray March 3rd, 2013 07:19 PM

Just to add a little to this conversation, I was also considering an Ikan VH8. I looked at their website and saw that the VH8 does not have component input. While it will work for my EX1r and my 60D, I was especially interested in something that would work with my old XH-A1 which does not have HDMI, but has a horrible viewfinder and LCD.

I saw they had an older model, the VK5, available as a refurb. The resolution is not as good, but I knew it had to be better than the A1's LCD!

So for $239 I order one and received a day later.

I am definitely pleased with it for what I need it for. The 1024 x 600 resolution is plenty good enough for the XH-A1. It has BNC connectors so I had to buy some cheap adapters to fit the A1's component cable with RCA plugs.

Haven't tried it on my 60D, but it also worked fine on the EX1r. The pixel-to-pixel is my preferred setting for checking focus while using the camera's LCD for framing. I'm sure it's better to use the monitor, but I hate going back and forth between full frame and pixel-to-pixel. The VK5 does have a single button that can be set to go back and forth. (I probably just need to get used to it.)

I'm not so excited about the peaking, but it's because I like the EX1r's peaking so much. I didn't test it on the XH-A1, but since the A1's peaking is worthless, I'm sure it'll be useful.

As a side note, if you need this one with component connections, you'd better learn what color goes with YPbPr. I didn't and thought something was wrong with with the camera or monitor until I checked the connections again to discover I'd plugged things in wrong. Worked fine once I'd made the connection, though!

For the price, I am VERY satisfied. They ship out fast, too, if you order in the morning before 10 am.

Dean Cuba March 4th, 2013 11:53 PM

Hi, have been looking at a 663/P. For those who have bought one was just wondering how it's been measuring up. Have been a bit reluctant to buy lilliput in the past but the 663 looks like a good piece of kit and they may have got it bang on?

Steve Varnell March 6th, 2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Cuba (Post 1782495)
Hi, have been looking at a 663/P. For those who have bought one was just wondering how it's been measuring up. Have been a bit reluctant to buy lilliput in the past but the 663 looks like a good piece of kit and they may have got it bang on?

So far so good for me. Funny thing was hooking it up to my computer the other day (my wife HAD to borrow my 24" monitor). it worked very well for that too.

I do find (like I have said before its makes my camera very front heavy). I was filming stuff in my backyard hand held and I finally gave up and put it on its own stand. The weight really gets to me and even on a rig I don't think most folk would want to be using it very long (unless they put the monitor right in their face and not so far forward). Remember you are trying to keep your rig stable and that front weight is like a big lever pushing down. I suppose if you have the counter weights on the rig then its would not be as bad, but even on a monopod 2+ lbs a few inches in front of center feels like 5lbs trying to pull the lens downwards. For what I do I am much happier moving it around on its own stand than trying to compensate for the imbalanced load.

Also, I made a cardboard box to fit over the sunshade because that by far was the easiest way to view the screen. Inside the box is spray painted black.

Panagiotis Raris March 6th, 2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Cuba (Post 1782495)

works great; only issue is pix to pix which should get fixed, if not no reall biggie. ive been using it as a second monitor on one pc for music player (main pc has two, soon three monitors). i actually bought new IPS LED monitors because this field monitor kicked the pants off my old 1440x900 19 inchers.

Dean Cuba March 13th, 2013 02:08 PM

Thanks for that. will be purchasing a couple.

Steve Varnell March 14th, 2013 01:00 AM

I just got off a shoot where the DP had a Cannon 5d Mark II. In his experience this was a very nice monitor and extremely sharp. We were shooting using it only indoors, so I still cannot say how it compares to others. I will say many of the more expensive brands have a lot more adjustments this does not have.

Thomas Smet March 14th, 2013 06:11 AM

What is the battery life with the Lilliput? Really considering getting the 663 to use with a GH2 with older vintage lenses which can be a bit difficult to focus with. The higher res plus focus peaking should help a lot.

Panagiotis Raris March 16th, 2013 01:03 PM

depends on the battery you use; i get 4 hrs average from my generic Sony NPxxx battery.

Thomas Smet March 16th, 2013 03:49 PM

That actually sounds very good and much better than I expected for battery life. I use the same batteries with my LED on camera lights.

Another question. Is there really a massive difference for focusing with a 1024x600 monitor compared to the 1280x720 monitor. Lets say they both have focus peaking and are the same physical size. In terms of raw detail that isn't a lot of extra pixels and I would think wouldn't make as much of a difference. I know a lot of people who use 1024x600 monitors with great results. Just trying to decide if the extra $100 is worth it.

Panagiotis Raris March 16th, 2013 06:13 PM

my personal experience is with a ManhattanLCD HD089B; 8.9" 1024x600 LCD, and the Lilliput 7" 1280x800 IPS LED.

the Lilliput is MUCH sharper, response time is MUCH quicker, colors are spot on, controls are sooo much easier, pixel density is much higher, battery solution is easier, was cheaper, etc. overall, infinitely better than the ManhattanLCD.

i used the M LCD with an XH A1 and 35mm adapters; horrible pain in the rear but 10x better than built in LCD. I use the Lilliput with T2i's, i can instantly tell if im in focus or not with ML. I wish i had this monitor with the Letus/XHA1 setup; i would have kept it.