Decent studio monitor on a budget - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Decent studio monitor on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
...the majority of my work goes on the web, so I can assume that the majority of people viewing my work will be using either a tablet, a smartphone or a computer monitor to view it.

In this case, would a reasonably accurate monitor (like the Ultrasharp, as mentioned above) not be sufficient?
A computer monitor will work OK if your display target is the web. It will show you the target workingspace at least. It would be better if you calibrated the monitor, which would give you a solid neutral axis and the correct gamma, and therefore give you the best chance to align your image along the median of what people viewing your images should see.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I think something like a Dell Ultrasharp would be my best bet.

Can anyone recommend a good calibration tool? The Spyder4Express looks like a good reasonably priced option.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Ideally you are looking for a monitor that has IPS (In-plane switching). These are coming down in price slowly.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Jody, I don't know how you are going with this, but I have just read through the whole thread after it resurfaced today. I have just got into the beginnings of all this and thought from your OP that the right colour profile for my iMac might be a good thing too.

A quick Google search lead me to a download package from Adobe with ICC profiles for my iMac. The eight RGB and 16 CMYK options include Rec709.

HTH
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Tim,

I did actually resolve this. I don't have the budget for a proper high-end studio monitor, and I don't do any broadcast work, so I compromised and purchased the Asus PA279Q. It's a 27" IPS monitor aimed at the professional market. Factory calibrated, 2560x1440, with a very handy adjustable stand.

For the type of work I do (nothing involving heavy grading usually), this should be fine I'm hoping. It's definitely a big step up from what I had before.

I'm planning on buying a Datacolor Spyder4Pro, apparently they're great for maintaining accurate colours. A bit more research required first though.

Either way, thanks for the tips!

Cheers.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Tourist

Whitch monitor, help?

Hi, I'm building a new post-production room and my intention is to make the color correction with DA Vinci Resolve, the video card will be 4 k Ultra Studio black magic, the new MAC PRO computer, and Avid editing systems. My problem now is the reference monitor. I've been shuffling EIZO COLOREDGE CG276, HP DREAMCOLOR. But konvision see the following monitor that he did not know.
It's KVM-2450W(10bit)-KVM-2450W?10BIT LCD?-Product-Shenzhen konvision Technology Co., Ltd..
Somebody know this?
Someone can help me.
Thanks
Alex
Alex Iniesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:54 PM   #22
Major Player

I tried the Spyder, after many, many, and many more attempts to calibrate my computer monitor - I sent it back. Each time it produced a different bad color adjustment.

As I remember I read that a number of people were complaining of the same problem with their units...

So if you get one I would recommend you work with it right away so you can send it back if it worked anything like mine did.

They offered to replace it but I believe if a company sends out defective products or the device degrades sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold - I don't want to keep it and then have trouble with it after the warranty period is up.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

Bought one for my girlfriend, when she used it she said her monitor came out with some weird "warm" looking color temp. Is that normal? Is that "correct?"
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I have had no issues with my Spyder products. But, they are designed for photography usage working in concert with your video card drivers. Video for the web would benefit, but it is not the same for any type of YUV color or using the monitor hooked up over HDMI.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software