HD Video Monitor for HD100U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Video Monitor for HD100U

Anyone can recommend a good, but reasonable priced Video Monitor for the GY-HD100U. I am not sure the monitor has to be HDV.

Any input guys?

Duke
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Depends on what your definition of "reasonably priced" is. And also what your definition of "good" is.

If your budget's appropriate, there are a few good new LCDs from Sony and Panasonic that would fit the bill.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Depends on what your definition of "reasonably priced" is. And also what your definition of "good" is.

If your budget's appropriate, there are a few good new LCDs from Sony and Panasonic that would fit the bill.
Thanks barry. I'm thinking between 300-1000 dollars. Do you have any model numbers, and do you know if they come in HDV?
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Er... if you want a monitor that can display high-def, you're going to have to shift that budget's decimal point one notch to the right...

Here's Sony's lineup:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...uct_luma.shtml

Here's a Panasonic that's under $3400:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=BT-LH1700W
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Er... if you want a monitor that can display high-def, you're going to have to shift that budget's decimal point one notch to the right...

Here's Sony's lineup:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...uct_luma.shtml

Here's a Panasonic that's under $3400:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=BT-LH1700W
Thanks barry.... always prompt.. I probably can get away with a 7-10" monitor, but I woll look for one in HDV. I thought the smaller ones were more around 300-700 dollars.
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:01 AM   #6
Trustee

There are people shooting with the DELL W1900 HDTV and another DELL 2405 monitor, which is supposed to be as good as Apple Cine displays, which by the way are also used on set by many. There’s even somebody here using an Envision which sells for under $500. Those are all "within" your budget.
Keep in mind that while a CRT has it's advantages, the future for HD really seems to be LCD.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
There are people shooting with the DELL W1900 HDTV and another DELL 2405 monitor, which is supposed to be as good as Apple Cine displays, which by the way are also used on set by many. There’s even somebody here using an Envision which sells for under $500. Those are all "within" your budget.
Keep in mind that while a CRT has it's advantages, the future for HD really seems to be LCD.
Michael,

Thanks those monitors look great. I found a Dell W1900 for $599 =)
How do I mount them to the GY-HD100U? Not meaning that I want to mounth the DIRECTLY on to the camera. usually it is mounted to a tripod or crane, or away from the camera.

I assume this will work with the GY-HD100U. I'm not looking for a monitor for Post, which I already have. I'm just trying to figure out how that big screen LCD (DELL W1900) would mount on a crane/jib etc. Any suggestions?
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #8

check out the lcd monitors from marshall
http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/Vid...stMonitors.htm
7" HD models start at $1599
terry
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nixon
check out the lcd monitors from marshall
http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/Vid...stMonitors.htm
7" HD models start at $1599
terry
Thanks Terry!!
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Michael,

Thanks those monitors look great. I found a Dell W1900 for $599 =)
How do I mount them to the GY-HD100U? Not meaning that I want to mounth the DIRECTLY on to the camera. usually it is mounted to a tripod or crane, or away from the camera.

I assume this will work with the GY-HD100U. I'm not looking for a monitor for Post, which I already have. I'm just trying to figure out how that big screen LCD (DELL W1900) would mount on a crane/jib etc. Any suggestions?

Somebody here, I think it was Shannon Rawls, mounted it on a music or light stand. Not sure you can mount it on a crane though. But if you have a long cable, you can have the monitor besides the crane. Should work.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software