How would you screen capture cloud-based programs for inclusion into a UHD project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How would you screen capture cloud-based programs for inclusion into a UHD project?

I have a client who wants to produce UHD resolution training videos with their implementation of Salesforce as well as a pile of other HR and payroll programs. We will be scripting, producing motion graphics, editing, but I am a bit stumped on how we can screen capture UHD resolution recordings of these Cloud based programs? One thought would be to borrow my friend's new iMac 5k and output the signal using a Thunderbolt to HDMI convertor into an Atomos Ninja Assassin at UHD resolution? I have no idea if this would actually work because I don't have the gear available to try it. Does anyone know if the Assassin will accept and record computer output versus camera output? Can the iMac 5K operate and output at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 at a video-friendly frame rate? I suppose I could try some screen capture software but it seems that recording the actual iMac output to a device would be simpler and easier, especially if I need that large UHD size? I've used screen capture software before with very mixed results and I have never attempted to record such high resolution output, not sure how software would work?

Suggestions and or ideas about how you would do this?

Thanks!
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How would you screen capture cloud-based programs for inclusion into a UHD projec

I have an inexpensive app called "My Screen Recorder" that will capture screen content using a Windows Media Video 9 compressor (one of several choices)

Max settings are:
Frame rate 30 fps, bit rate 5000 kpbs and a key frame rate of 100.

Two additional parameters are the high speed internet connection and, I presume, the resolution of the monitor you are using.

We often record live apps using GoToMeeting - the recording options are wmv and mp4.
Karl Walter Keirstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software