Production Monitor Flickering? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Production Monitor Flickering?

I have started to notice that the refresh rate on my monitor is becoming noticable to the point of irrating my eyes. But I am not sure if the refresh rate is really the problem. It's like the images on my TV and computer monitor are WAY more rock steady than my production monitor. The problem is subtle, but like I said, it becomes slightly irrating over time. I have a really dumb question, is this somewhat normal for production monitors to be like this? And is there a way for me to adjust it? The production monitor is a JVC TM-H150CGU.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Maybe try lowering the overall light in the area behind your monitor? Sometimes that makes flicker more likely to cause headaches (I think). I could be wrong here but I think that's what I observe at home with my computer monitors (CRTs).

Don't do to darkness though, because that can cause a different kind of eye strain where the contrast between wall and monitor is too great. It would like like your monitor is almost blinding you.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Actually the other day I was at a shoot and my monitor seemed to be doing that also, and after investigation it seemed that when the camera was connected to my laptop and connected to the monitor it would seem flickery? But after unplugging the firewire it would go away? Sorry to steal your question Glenn, but I’m wondering the same thing?
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The following article gives more information on avoiding eye strain:

http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/Reducing_eyestrain.pdf
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software