S-video displays 16:9 on 4:3 monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #1
New Boot

S-video displays 16:9 on 4:3 monitor?

I'm considering the purchase of the XL-2 within the next few weeks.

I was reading the owners manual, and found it interesting that if you connect the S-video to a standard 4:3 monitor, and the footage was shot in widescreen, it displays it in widescreen. Am I reading that correctly?

My question extends to using the camera, connected via firewire to the computer and S-video to an external monitor, during editing. Does the same apply? Will the footage display in widescreen, or does that only apply to footage being played back from tape?

Thank you.
Robert Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey, Robert

Where about did you see this in the manual? I've plugged mine in via s-video into a 4:3 set but did not get the 16:9 displayed image.
I'd be interested to see if there is a setting that needs to be changed.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Wrangler

This function only works if the monitor to which you are connecting has the detection cabability on its S-Video input. Some do, and some do not. It's done by altering the DC bias on the signal level. Firewire has no such capability. You will always need to tell your editing software when you are capturing widescreen usually by checking an anamorphic checkbox or selecting DV-NTSC Widescreen as a capture preset.

Hope this helps. You'll love the XL-2.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you.

Luckily I have a switchable monitor, but I thought it certainly would be a handy feature.

It also doesn't affect my decision to go with the XL-2. Maybe I'll have it in my eager hands by Christmas.

Has anyone used the interval shooting? It was one of the selling features.
Robert Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Okay, wasn't paying close attention. I thought you meant TV monitor.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software