How to monitor DVCPRO to SD TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 16th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

How to monitor DVCPRO to SD TV

I'm relatively new to DV post production and have a general question I can't quite figure out:

On my 2 previous projects I shot using my Z1 in either standard DV or HDV and downconverted to SD for editing (anamorphic) using FCP. I have one 30" Apple Display connected to the G5 and a component SD-TV which is connected to the either a Sony M10U deck or a JVC SR-VS30 VTR. Either of those decks allows me to take the video and audio out from FCP thru Firewire and send it up to the SD-TV so I can see what the footage will really look like. (All my work is destined for DVD).

I'm considering "upgrading" to the HVX200 and shooting in either DVCPRO-50 or DVCPRO-HD. Here's the tricky part I can't figure out: Neither the Sony or JVC deck that I have are DVCPRO compatible, so how do I monitor DVCPRO-50 or HD from FCP through firewire without spending $21k to get a DVCPRO VTR from Panny or, using the camera as the VTR?

Would a Blackmagic card or Decklink extreme give me the ability to monitor to an SD-TV?
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Duh...my mistake i didn't catch the FCP part and suggested to take a look at canopus stuff....my mistake
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

The Answer!

Many thanks to Bob Bender for this simple and elegant solution:

FCP converts any "native" codec it works with, (i.e. DV25/50, DVCPRO/HD, DVCAM) into NTSC firewire for output automatically. So, for my production all I need to do is select the sequence & capture format I'll be shooting in and then select DVCPRO-50/HD Firewire NTSC as the output format and voila!, I can monitor through my existing JVC or Sony firewire deck without any additonal hardware or software. Damn, I love FCP!!

So, my dreams of a true tapeless workflow and progressive mode production are finally realized. Wow.
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #4
New Boot

I tried to output via ntsc firewire from a FCP 5 HD 720p DVCPRO HD sequence and I was not able to do it. It works from DVCPRO50 but not form HD. Can you explain how you are able to do it. thanks
Joe Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

I have not tested it with HD footage yet, DV50 is more important to me at the moment. I imagine I'd have to use a Duallink Blackmagic card or Decklink Extreme card to be able to output DVCPRO-HD thru composite to an NTSC TV.
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Trustee

AJA Kona 2, LH and LHe would let you use your SD monitor to display you DVCPRO HD projects from FCP5 because it has realtime downconverstion feature. You could display in anamorphic or letterbox.
In my setup, I'm using Nanao S2410W and AJA HDP to display full HD pixel monitoring via KonaLH's HDSDI to DVI connection, KonaLH's analog connection connected to consumer TV at downconverted anamorphic, and HDSDI connected to JVC HD monitor for my HD, HDV and DV projects. All monitors viewable at the same time. It works the same way for DVCPRO HD.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Thanks for the feedback Kaku - that helps a lot in pre-production planning.

By the way, wouldn't the Blackmagic series of cards also provide real-time downconversion and output to analog NTSC?
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Trustee

Yes, DeckLink does have realtime conversion, but AJA is way more trusty with the quality of signals and more choices for the way to up and down conversion.
It's little bit off the topic but when you compare how AJA HDP and Blackmagic HDLink convert interlace to progressive, HDLink converts very poorly, but Blackmagic still claim that it does while AJA HDP does it perfectly. Comparing how they cliam what their products supposed to do, I trust AJA but Blackmagic.

AJA used be not strong with finishing the driver software, but it has changed since end of 2004, after that they actively and surely update the driver software for their products. Also they don't drive you crazy with careless updates on the incomplete driver software like Blackmagic does.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software