Color correct HD on SD monitor or Dell 24"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 8th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color correct HD on SD monitor or Dell 24"?

Hi All,

I have a JVC-HD100U, and I am building out my HD edit bay. Most programming will be destined for SD in the short term.

I have a dual proc 2.7 G5, FCP 5, and need to come up with the best was to do color correction. I was thinking about adding a Kona LH card or Blackmagic HD plus, and monitor to a JVC TMH-150CGU 15-Inch Color Production Monitor with added component input SD though. OR get a Dell 24"

More info on the JVC here
(link:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation)

Would this set-up work well (JVC in SD)? I thought about a Dell 24", but I am more concerned with color correction, is the dell accurate enough? I know HD and SD have different color spaces, but the thought if most of my footage if destined for SD, then best to color correct there?
Randall Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The SD monitor can be advantageous in that it lets you spot interlace flicker, which the Dell monitor won't. You can also hook up the monitor via composite (not Y/C or S-video) to see chroma crawl artifacts, which some of your viewers may have. The chroma demodulator in the JVC may be good though, so it's not going to get too many artifacts.

For really good color accuracy, look for a monitor with SMPTE C phosphors/colorimetry (or eventually, look for a monitor with 709 phosphors as that is the standard for HD).
i.e. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Ikegami, Panasonic, and JVC may also offer good competing monitors. I don't think JVC makes any monitors using SMPTE C phosphors anymore (could be wrong).

For accurate color, I don't think you're going to find a LCD with SMPTE C or 709 colorimetry until you get into the Sony, Panasonic, and Ecinema LCDs (and Cinetal). All LCDs are limited by response time, viewing angle (not a problem if you stay in a fixed position), and by black level (black can't go blacker than a certain point).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software