Field / production Monitor options - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 4th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, I started this thread a while ago and I'm still looking but now I'm really looking hard.

Unfortunately I've busted the bank on the latest production (and spent every shilling I made from that BBC docu that we got hired to shoot part of) but before I get started on a short film project (shooting 16:9 btw) at the end of the month I'd LOVE to have a production monitor....

If anyone has any new ideas, new used equip dealers or any suggestions at all I'd be happy to hear them but I have to admit I'm going REALLY cheap on this...

I was looking at a used Sony 1380, any opinions on that?

thanks
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Aw, Kevin. It's been so long that I've since changed my monitor! <g>

I now use a Sony PVM-14L5. It's outstanding but a bit $.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka :
I now use a Sony PVM-14L5. It's outstanding but a bit $. -->>>

LOL!!! thanks, Ken. Nice to know what cool toys I can't afford.

Are you saying you'd give me your old monitors? ; )
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Actually, Kevin, there seems to be quite a few far more economical choices in 13-14" production monitors. JVC has several models that might do you fine.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Well, I just bought a used Sony 1380 from an "as-is" dealer a friend of mine recommended.

The price was worth the risk of it showing up and being crap...I see this monitor listed on a LOT of rental house's available equipment list so I figure it's got to be half decent.

if nothing else I'll write something into a project with someone beating the hell out of it on camera and get my money's worth out of it. (G)

Still looking though and going to check out a used equip dealer in Pittsburgh next week while I'm there on business.
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #21
Major Player

Hey guys, thanks for all the posts and links. I too, needed a starting point for a color video monitor and bought a SONY 1380! I should get it next week.

Kevin - let me know if you get yours before mine and how it works for you.
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #22
Major Player

Mark, haven't gotten mine yet... crossing my fingers it will arrive alive and before next weekend we start shooting a new project. (G)
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I've been using the JVC TM-L450TU 4.5 LCCS monitor for field use. This monitor is really well made and performs very well in the field. The monitor is a little on the low res side of things @ 400+ lines, yet it provides very nice color and has been very good for production with my XL1s. It is switchable 4:3/16:9 and you can use an Anton Bauer or other batteries for the field. The monitor uses a Liquid Crystal Shuter, that said it use a B/W CRT with an LCD overlay, very bright and calibrates nicely on a vector. Picked mine up for $960.00 US.

Cheers,

Dick Steele
Dick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software