HD LCD Editing Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD LCD Editing Monitor

I'm looking for a HD LCD monitor and need some recommendations. I am leaning towards the Acer Ferrari F-20 1680 x 1050 800:1 monitor. I just love the CrystalBrite screen. What else is better in the 20 - 24" range. Other better units with CrystalBrite? Any feedback and experience is appreciated.
John K. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

TV logic, Panavision uses their larger 24,48 inch panels with the Genesis system. I was able to see the 17,14,8 inch as well. very good, these are my next units for sure.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #3
New Boot

My suggestion...

Gateway's FPD2185W. I bought it yesterday.

It's 21 inches, it has VGS, DVI, composite, s-video and component HD inputs. You can use all five inputs at the same time: hooking up two computers , your camcorder, etc... and picture-in-picture allows you to monitor one source while working on another.

Resolution is 1680X1050. I watched scenes from T2 and Underworld in HD on the monitor and the picture is stunning. My HDV images look superb on this screen. I'm shooting tomorrow and I'll use it as my main HD monitor during the shoot. Working with Premiere Pro at maximum resolution gives you plenty of space for everything.

A superb monitor for 800$ canadian. Well worth the price.

Also, Costco.ca has the Dell 24 inch for 979$ canadian. Another great monitor with full HD resolution: 1920X1080.
Jocelyn Deguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Acer Al2416WD

Thank you for the suggestions so far. Does anyone have any feedback on the Acer AL2416WD widescreen model 1920 x 1200 500 cd/ml 1000:1 .27 6m gray to gray ChristalBrite.
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Trustee

what's your application? just watch movies or edit HD?

i'm assuming you want to edit HD since you posted the question here. in that case this is the only display you should be buying:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...gen&redirect=1

if not, then get the westinghouse displays:
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/c...-monitors.aspx
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Trustee

The Dell 3007WFP? - oh puh-leeze!

Much more cost effective to go for a dualscreen setup, with pixel for pixel HD on one of them....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I checked out the Dell 30" but I think the size might be too large. Plus pricey. Still thinking of the black Acer Ferarri F-20 widescreen. In the 20" size range and 585.00 I don't think you can beat this one. Ideally looking for a 24" but can't seem to narrow down on one. The Dell 2405 has its problems that have been posted on the forum and the Acer AL2416WD is their 'value' silver color monitor rated as good but ugly. 'value' concerns me. Finding good monitors in a store to view is next to impossible and therefor you have to rely on test reports and forum experiences to help.
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Major Player

FYI: The Dell 2405 24" widescreen LCD is on sale for just $850 until 5/3/06.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Don't know if this will cut it or not but it works for me and the price is right.

http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglest...7w221-v22.html

I believe the resolution is only 720P but for day to day editing it works fine for me. Good luck.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
www.dynamovideo.com
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

monitor inputs

Hi
I have a 32 inch HD LCD I got at a very good price. I was using the component inputs to view HDV tapes from my HD100.
For a while I though the camera wasn't focusing properly and I almost returned it. It wasn't until I digitized the footage into my NLE, cut it up and exported it as an mt2 file and played in Wiindows media player did I realize that there was nothing wrong with the camera, the moitors component inputs just did not do a good job of display wide shots with lots of detail. The same shots, on the same monitor but played on Windows Media player looked great. Eventually I'll get a small HD monitor for field work but not sure what.
Jack
Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I've been doing some research into what monitor to get, and depending on your needs and budget, the answer varies. I've been emailing some people who are well-versed on the subject, and what I'm finding out isn't too encouraging.

For accurate assesment of the video, as in knowing how sharp it is and if there's any unwanted artifacting going on, the ideal solution would be one that provided a pixel-for-pixel display of the video. Something like Blackmagic's HDLink, eCinema or AJA's HDP will do this in conjunction with an Apple Cinema display, HP's and Dell's 23" LCD computer displays, or similar LCD monitor that has a 1920x1080 pixel resolution.

The reports I've read stated that these solutions are absolutely the best at displaying the image and giving a true assessment of sharpness and compression results.

LCD TV's, plasmas and, and almost all HD CRT's, are pretty much 720p resolution. None have the 1920x1080 pixel count of computer LCD displays.

There are no LCD displays that have the color characteristics of CRT's. CRT's have blacker blacks and much greater contrast ratios. LCD's have contrast ratios ranging from roughly 300:1 to as much as 1300:1. CRT's have contrast ratios about 10 times greater.

Some will say (and these are expert opinons by the way) that LCD technology is pretty darn good. That it gets really close to CRT performance. It might be ok for some applications, but for critical color there's just not enough confidence in LCD's to provide truly trustworthy image quality.

The work-around is to do all critical detail work on LCD's, then do the final critical color work on CRT's -- if you can afford having both and have the space for all of this hardware.

With that in mind, it was also mentioned that almost all HD is seen on LCD's. So why bother with a CRT? Well, the fly in that ointment is the pending release of SED displays which are supposed to have the same colorimetric characteristics of CRT's, or better.

The perfect answer? One that provides accurate monitoring at a reasonable cost?

Dunno. If anyone figures that one out, please let me know!!
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #12
Major Player

I'm working with Final Cut Pro 5, so my plan is to use the new Matrox MXO with a 23" Apple Cinema Display to monitor HD. It won't be the most accurate setup, but it should be close, and it is semi-affordable. MXO is due to be released in June.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have FCP Studio and will use the Matrox MXO to connect to a Dell 2005FPW, 20 inch monitor.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Major Player

If you are editing 1080 HD footage (and want a full resolution preview) you might want to consider an lcd with 1920x1200 pixels. 1080 footage is 1920x1080 pixels.

look at the dell 2407. They run great deals on it all the time. I have seen it go for less than $700.00 shipped.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Trustee

matt, i believe you mean the 2405. 2407 is now out yet (as of time of this post). 2407 has HDCP and 2405 doesn't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software