HDV monitors 101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV monitors 101

Questions about using field monitors with HDV: I'm shooting Sony HDV, and am consistently encountering exposure issues. The flip out LCD seems bright. By the time it hits Final Cut Pro, it seems consistently to lose a stop or two of light, and is consequently underexposed.

1. Which is the more accurate representation, the Sony LCD or the mac computer monitor?

2. If using a non-HD monitor to set exposure (because of the expense of an HD monitor) what are the critical issues regarding exposure? I.e., can a NTSC monitor accurately represent exposure of an HD signal?
Fischer Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2

Your camera LCD is likely more accurate, you need to calibrate it just like you would a field monitor. Same though, for your computer monitor. Both need to be calibrated or you're going nowhere fast in terms of color.

You *can* use an SD monitor to get close to color on the set, but it's not accurate. If it's critical color, no....you can't use SD. If it's not critical color and you're mostly using the monitor for lighting and composition, you will be fine.

It's a drag that DVRack won't play on a Mac. If you've got an Intel-powerbook, DVRack works with BootCamp.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i see that dvrack has a $200 HDV add on. What's so useful about DVRack?

Is it hard to use? Hard to learn to use? Hard to learn about the issues that are relevant to using it?
Fischer Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

useful overview:
http://www.seriousmagic.com/dvrinterface.cfm

my question stands.
Fischer Spooner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software