Laptop Monitoring via FW at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Laptop Monitoring via FW

I know some Sony monitors have a FW port so that HDV can be directly shown from the camera;

Is there a software application which can take FW input and display it on a Laptop at full screen at HD 720p resolution?

I know HDV rack could do this but I dont need the extras - just the monitoring capability - seems such a simple task but I cannot find an application to do this

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Major Player

So are you using the down-converted SD DV output (i.e., 720p)?

Do you need the audio or just the video? If the latter, you can just plug the device into your PC's FireWire port and (with Windows XP), open the Explorer folder created for the camcorder (e.g., MyComputer->Sony DV Camcorder). You will see a live feed from the camcorder. Using the standard Microsoft DV codec, though, will only decode to half-size resolution this way.

Our Enhanced DV Decoder will decode to full size and show you lots of additional information (camera settings, time, date etc).

I've attached an example screen shot (1024 x 768) showing the live feed.
Attached Thumbnails
Laptop Monitoring via FW-livefeed.jpg  
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi John;

Looks a very useful application you have there. Any plans for a HDV version?

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

John Jay:

What software solution did you end up using for HDV laptop fullscreen monitoring?

VLC Media Player has been a great tool for viewing the 1394 stream at full resolution on my HP 17" widescreen laptop (VLC Ver 8.5).

It is a little buggy for capture at this stage of development. But what do you want for a free program?

The 8.6 & 9.0 versions of VLC are supposed to support HDV much better when they are released.

Jeff

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Kellam; September 28th, 2006 at 07:58 AM.
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software