Apple 30" Vs. Cintiq - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #16
New Boot

I use a cintiq

I use a cintiq in conjunction with my old school 22" cinema display. The cintiq doesn't work well as a secondary monitor so I use it as my primary and the apple as my secondary.

I say this because if you're using the cintiq chances are you want to have all your toolbars right at hand. If the cintiq is your secondary monitor then the toolbars always default to the primary display.

If you mirror the displays then you can have the toolbars where they need to be, but then you don't really have enough screen room for multi-tasking.

Switching settings back and forth in the display menu often times requires a restart for the cursor to figure out what screen it's suppossed to be on.

hope this helps.
Daniel Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Major Player

The "idea" of the cintiq, as a screen you can draw on, has great appeal and if you are used to using a tablet and/or you do lots of drawing and rotoscoping work, the cintiq sounds like a good idea. But as much as I like to draw with a graphics tablet, I find myself going back to a mouse and keyboard quickly for anything else.

The cintiq is very cool but unless you really need it a lot or are very comfortable using tablet pens for your general apps, you might want to see if you can spend time with a demo and see if its really a comfortable fit. Some people love 'em, some people just can't get used to them.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Because he can get 2 Dell Monitors for cheaper that actually look better =o)

ash =o)

I have the Apple 30 and the thought of buying a Dell would never cross my mind. I dont like cheap things and if it is affordable, why not have the best.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
I dont like cheap things and if it is affordable, why not have the best.
Guys, lets keep it civil with our opinions.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:58 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Haupfear
Guys, lets keep it civil with our opinions.

I think you misunderstood the concept in which I wrote. Brian was asking about using 2 Apple displays and not whether he should buy Dell because he was after a cheaper option. Not everyone wants the cheaper product and as far as I am concerned, nothing comes close to the Apple. Brian, I say go for the 2 Apple 30' displays. Have the best
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:05 AM   #21
Inner Circle

How are you using them!

Rather than suggest brands and prices, I would ask exactly what use you are putting them to.

If, for example, you edit on one and view on the other, the size is not much of a concern. If, on the other hand, you use both for editing with split screen or putting pallets on different screens, which is what I usually do (and love), then it does make a slight difference.

I have a 20" next to a 19" and no matter how you pass between them you don't end up even or look right. It just looks odd sometimes, but that may not bother many editors, it is slightly distracting for me.

If you plan to edit on both, as I do, I would stay with two matching monitors. And if you get two 30" monitors I will surely be very jealous!!!!

Mike
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well, I ended up getting a 30" Apple display and the Cintiq 21UX. The Apple is dang big compared to what I had before hehe. So there's so much room to work on things. I don't really require 2 30"s, and I have plenty of workspace room with this setup. The Cintiq is used as my secondary display, and it's real easy to keep everything on that monitor for Photoshop work, which is amazing on the cintiq. It's really great and greatly improves speed and quality for rotoscoping in Shake too. I use the 30" for mostly the node view which gives me a ton of room there, and I put a viewer and some pallets, sometimes move parameters to the Cintiq's screen too. Rotoscoping is a ton faster, to manipulate the quick shapes, and any other task which requires hands on work. I also have a JVC production monitor hooked up via Multibridge Pro to always have my final output diplayed, so I have all my color corrections displayed properly. Basically this setup is just what I needed.
Brian Langeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:54 AM   #23
Regular Crew

wow. would love to see ur setup whenever u get the chance!!

cheers
Dean Digamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #24
Trustee

Actually, if you search the net you will find that not only is the Dell cheaper, but the picture is better, the build is sturdier. You pay a premium for Apple "style" The 30" gets a little more murky, both are pretty close, although the Dell is less $$$.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #25
Regular Crew

i just ordered another 2407WFP today.. the price dropped

i havent even rcvd the first one yet.

anyone want to excite me and show me their pics of dual 24in Dells?!

mahalos
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Actually, if you search the net you will find that not only is the Dell cheaper, but the picture is better, the build is sturdier. You pay a premium for Apple "style" The 30" gets a little more murky, both are pretty close, although the Dell is less $$$.

ash =o)

As they say, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong about Apple style.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Regarding the Cintiq, I saw them but was discouraged by the price. Neat idea. And handy for those who might find it difficult to develop that hand-eye coordination required for a graphics tablet.

However, I've been using a graphic tablet for years now and it's become second nature. The only other device I use is a track ball. The mouse is gathering dust somewhere on the desk.

Here's a sample of what I did with a graphics tablet just for laughs. The shark was done entirely by hand in Photoshop.

At a MacWorld convention an artist was showing what he'd done with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. His work was absolutely astounding.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple 30" Vs. Cintiq-shark.jpg  
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:44 AM   #28
Regular Crew

nice. what kind of tablet are u using?

mahalos.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Digamon
nice. what kind of tablet are u using?
It's an Intuos 2 6x9.

What really makes this thing magic is the pressure sensing capabilities. I used to do a lot of drawing way back when and this is a good simulation of what I used to do with a pencil.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software