Gateway FPD2185W at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Gateway FPD2185W

Was browsing at Best Buy today and made the mistake of wandering into the computer section to look at the LCD monitors.... before I knew it I was carrying a Gateway 21" widescreen monitor out to my car ;-)

So far I'm really impressed by this screen, which cost $500. Native resolution is 1680x1050, 1000:1 contrast ratio, DVI, s-video, component and composite inputs and even support for HDCP. Have been playing with it using my Z1 thru the component inputs and it looks great. When you set it for 1:1 screen size it slightly letterboxes the image to properly maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio on the 16:10 screen. There are a lot of image controls including manual adjustment of color temperature. Just looking at color bars briefly, it seemed like the default settings weren't too bad.

It overscans slightly in the horizontal direction but not much if any in the vertical. Looking at the LCD screen on my Z1, the Gateway monitor showed more than the camera did in standard mode, but when I switched the Z1 to all scan mode I could see slightly more to the left and right.

Anyway, this seemed like a good deal for the money and I was looking for another monitor to use while editing so I guess I'll keep it :-) It looks a lot better than my 22" Samsung 1280x720 LCD. I haven't hooked it up to my computer yet, but it looked nice in the store and the reviews I've read online give it top marks. It also has a nice adjustable stand which pivots 90 degrees into portrait mode. Not sure if my Mac will support that since the manual says you need to use the included Windows software for that feature. In terms of appearance, it's attractive with a thin flat black bezel.

If you're looking for something on a budget to use with a Z1 or one of the other affordable HD camcorders then it might be worth checking out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

As soon as I tried using the software to do portrait mode, my PC would lock up. Everytime. But that was with my Samsung SyncMaster.
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

Well it isn't a feature I would ever use anyway. But they include a windows program called "EZ Tune" which is supposed to support this and a number of other adjustments through a control panel on your computer.

But my main interest is using the screen with my Z1 with the component inputs, and from what I've seen so far it's well suited for that - especially considering the cost.
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using it and it's the best bang for the buck bar none especially since it has every input you need minus HDMI. It rocks and is fantastic. The only drawback is the 1680x1050 res doesn't match up to HD but for editing and viewing playback it still kicks much ass. I'm thinking about getting another one to have a really wide editing view. :) It would even make a great field monitor if you get a car adaptor to plug it into. Highly recommend it.
Greg Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Watts
The only drawback is the 1680x1050 res doesn't match up to HD
Yeah, I guess it would be nice to have the full 1920x1080. However, 1080i HDV is anamorphic anyway and only has 1440 horizontal pixels. So I don't think you're going to miss any details with a camera like the Z1. In fact, now I can see exactly what effect the sharpening adjustment has as I change it. On my 1280x720 monitor it was pretty hard to tell.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Trustee

I happened into BestBuy today, and ended up picking out this monitor as well. Hooked it up to my xlh1, the default settings seem a little too saturated in the reds and skintones (which was easily fixed in the menus). It's also pretty harsh in the highlights. Anybody else see this? Have you found any settings that help ?(I tried adjusting the contrast and brightness, but it didn't do much other than darken and dull the entire image).
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Here's an update which might be of interest. I was just looking on Gateway's website and noticed they have a coupon for $100 off on this monitor, bringing the price down to $400.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #8
New Boot

For those of you that use this Gateway with a JVC HD100U...what color user settings do you have the monitor set to when out in the field, and back when you edit at home. I just don't feel confident whenever I set it to bars, or calibrate it with the built in apple software on my mac. What do you guys do?
Chris Schwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Trustee

would this be a good monitor for general color correcting? I'm mostly interested in brightness accuracy.
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Wrangler

Probably not a good choice for any kind of "accuracy," it's only a $400 monitor...
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I put the monitor into service about 10 days ago and I'm very happy with the result. I bought it to replace an older GW monitor that went bad, on a computer that I was using for general work as well as display of WMV-HD files. I found that it would also serve as a playback monitor for my Sony Z1 HDV camera via the component input.

Even though my PC is 3.5 years old, the video card adapted to the new resolution. The vertical orientation works too, and is nice for document composition as well as work on vertical photos.

I did have to calibrate the monitor because the digital photos I was editing did not print as shown.

Initially I saw this monitor for $500 at Office Depot. I then saw it on Gateway's website for $450 and there was a $50 off coupon. Interestingly, Office Depot refused to even match Gateway's published MSRP and would not accept even their own coupon!
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software