Using Standard Definition Monitor with HD111 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 18th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Major Player

Using Standard Definition Monitor with HD111

A question about monitors.

I am just about to embark on a field monitor purchase (camera mounted) for my camera and have these questions.

The camera downconverts from a HDV to DV signal to various formats in the HDV PB OUTPUT menu item which can them be sent out via component out?

This means that I can monitor via a standard definition monitor, correct?

Is anyone using a good quality standard definition monitor in the field as opposed to say the Marshal 7 inch HD LCD (a bit pricey after the hit I took on my recent Cartoni tripod purchase - simply fantastic fluid head tripod by the way). Any comments concerning the differences between monitoring via the Marshall HD LCD and a good quality SD LCD instead?

Should I just coff up the money for the Marshall HD LCD?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you're at all able, cough up the money for an HD monitor. An SD monitor will only be good for framing. Focus can still be soft and not noticeable on an SD monitor...and color will be close, but not quite.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Is even the small HD monitor adequate for focusing? I saw these and tried them at Cinegear, and it appeared to me that the focus assist was actually better for focusing than the Marshall monitor.

For color I understand the HD monitor would be different.

However, I think the exact shooting scenario needs to be considered. I can see many cases when the on camera monitor would just be too much and in the way.

I can also see where a large monitor would be much more helpful than an LCD.

I can see where using a jib or similar an SD monitor would be fine. This is one reason I bought the HD110, so that I could set the aspect ratio for display.

I have a Marshall SD monitor I plan to use with the HD110, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, though it is just for framing. I also have a 23" flat panel HD monitor I will use when shooting in situations that are setup in one studio or place.

I guess the point of all this is that after seeing the Marshall and trying it, I think it is the only real solution if that is the kind of monitor needed -- but, many situations don't really call for this monitor. In my case I have decided I don't need it and wouldn't get a lot of use from it.

However, I can see other scenarios where it would be hard to get along without it. With a fully setup camera -- matte box and filters, big battery, DV Rack or Firestore, dedicated sound person with mixer, dollies, etc. etc. the Marshall HD monitor on a Noga arm would be a natural piece of the puzzle... but for other syles of shooting, the Marshall would not be appropriate.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, it is exactly the sorts of dilemmas Jack is pointing out that are exercising my brain before I dip into my wallet. Is a monitor of this size every really going to be good for anything other than framing and general assistance?

Which Marshall SD LCD do you have Jack?

Rob
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #5
Trustee

I have the Marshall V-LCD56. I got it a way while back for use with my PD150 on the jib and when shooting stage shows.

However, the last show I did I used DV Rack and just used the camera LCD for framing.

The Marshall HD monitor is very nice. But from what I saw it's still not ideal for focusing, still too small, but the picture is excpetional, and the monitor has some nice features, and at Cinegear it was the monitor that was on virtually every camera at the show from the low end to the highest of the high end.

Some of the people with a lot of experience might have opions about using the monitor for focusing from their experience. Yet I think that the focus assist on the JVC camera is so good (and the HD110/111 have the improved version) that it's worth trying out before buying a monitor.

My little SD monitor is only 5.6 inches, and the Marshall HD is larger. The Marshall HD monitor does add quite a bit to the camera as I mentioned in dthe other post above.

I think the best way to make a decision is to work with the camera and see what you find yourself needing and what you don't end up needing.

By the way, I also used Cartoni tripods and the Caroni jib and they are very nice equipment. There's a high end tripod I would like to get someday, but the Cartoni equipment has worked very well for several years.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Ok, fair enough. I will save up my pennies for the Marshall HD LCD. I think that sounds like the sensible thing to do. It is a bit like skimping on a tripod - it ends up costing you more in the long term because you regret buying the inferior one and have to buy the more expensive one anyway.

Rob
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

On the commercials (shot in beta) i've worked on, I've found that a 9" monitor is barely adequate for checking composition and lighting. So I'm skeptical that this 7" marshall can really cover you. 7". That's dinky.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software