Video field monitor and playback deck for Varicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 1st, 2006, 07:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video field monitor and playback deck for Varicam

Hi

I'll be in a HD shoot sometime next week and I've been wanting to find out, what would be the best solution for a field monitor and a playback deck to use with the Varicam?

A couple of related questions:
- the available audio/video outputs of the Varicam
- the available audio/video inputs/outputs of a field monitor that's suitable with the Varicam
- Possible to use a DVCAM playback deck should there be appropiate a/v inputs/outputs?

Thanks
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Wrangler

The Varicam has 2 HD-SDI outputs, and that's it. Miranda and other companies make downconverter units that snap onto the back of the camera and will provide additional outputs...most rental companies have these avaialble.

So, for the field monitor (and you will be getting an HD field monitor, yes? :-), you get one with HD-SDI input, because that's the best possible signal.

Then for the DVCAM deck, you feed that with the downconverted output (ideally with the character gen output of the camera, so you have a timecode burn).
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, we'll be using a HD field monitor. Which monitor would you recommend? At the moment, I'm thinking of sending the video out from the Varicam and into the monitor and from the monitor, send the signal out to the dv deck. Is that possible without the use of downconverters?

I'm not used to working with a HD monitor, so that's why I'm not very familiar with its inputs/outputs.

We do not need a HD quality image nor do we need timecode for the playback. We just need it for general framing/composition monitoring, playback performance and continuity checks.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Recommended monitor? I have no idea of the nature of your shooting...is it run & gun? Studio? The biggest Sony BVM HD monitor that you can afford or is practical for the shoot is always a good starting point.

Yes, I understood your criteria on the DVCAM. No, it's not possible to feed your DVCAM deck without a downconverter. I really kind of already told you how it's going to have to work.

The option is to HD-SDI to monitor, loop out HD-SDI out of that to a off camera downconverter (AJA HD10C2), and then into your DVCAM.

Isn't your rental house helping you with this stuff?
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey, thanks for the tip on the downconverter. That looks like a more probable solution than the Miranda products.

The thing is, in Singapore, the move to HD (equipment and post-prod facilities) has been quite slow but many production houses here wants to immediately do HD. Im a 2nd asst cam on this feature set and at the moment, according to the DP, the only rental house here that provides the neccessary equipments for monitoring HD, has no more available units.

Being unfamiliar with HD was the reason I wanna know what's all the hassle about. I didnt wanna ask the DP or anyone else because Im new in the crew and everyone's as stressed out as it is already lol.

Thanks Nate for shedding light on this. The production hasn't even started but Im learning new things already.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Varicam monitor

If it's a feature then the DP would be very well advised to use a Panasonic brand HD monitor with the Cine-Gamma feature built in. This is the only way to properly judge exposure if you are shooting with the camera in FILM REC mode. Panasonic makes a 17" flat field monitor with a built in wave form and also an 8" onboard that can power off of Anton bauer bricks. I have shot several feature films with the Varicam and would not ever attempt proper exposure calculations off a monitor without it being one of these monitors or a high end Sony monitor with the panasonic Cine-gamma convertor box. If you would like a really excellent article about Film gamma monitoring concerns (and your dp should be worried about this) then write to me at; morpheusfilm@hotmail.com and I'll send you an attached document that explains it in detail particularly for the Varicam.
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I second the recommendation of the 17" Panny. It's an EXCELLENT monitor, especially at the price. I shot a music video a couple weeks ago and dragged mine along, just in case. We had it side-by-side to another hd production monitor... not sure the brand. Ended up using mine with the Varicam gamma lookup, and were very surprised by how off the cameras were when tuned to the other monitor. In the edit, the footage looked perfect, glad we checked on the panny monitor/waveform! The waveform function is VERY useful, even though it does not have numerical values written next to the display. Plus there's 2 sdi inputs, so you can a/b switch between cameras. VERY crucial in a 2-cam shoot. I would say the monitor is one of my better purchases, along with the porta-brace case. If you can find one to rent for your shoot, I would suggest it. Otherwise, they have a smaller version...9" I think that has all the same features. Good luck!
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #8
Trustee

Agree, the Panny 17 is the way to go... you can get various mounts for cstands and such

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software