New Lilliput 8" VGA LCD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #16
Trustee

You are a brave man, using SD to check focus on HD with a 35mm adapter!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Jim and Ben...thanks. I haven't resorted to pinching pennies - I'm still borrowing them, but I hear you :)

Are we expecting component to VGA results to be better or worse than svideo? The converter costs $100+ right?

Ash, bravery is mounting your cam on that crane next to a pool (kidding Ben:)
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #18
Regular Crew

ben, when i see that 1st photo, i can't help but see oscar award winners in the making. :)

ash, can it be any worse then the viewfinders the cameras come with? i doubt it.
Lee Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #19
Trustee

DEFINATELY better than most stock viewfinders, that is for sure. Most pro gear will last 10+ years, I know several guys who are on their 3rd cheap LCD monitor.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #20
Major Player

Can anyone recommend a source for the component to VGA cable
plus
a source for a cable/bracket unit that can convert NP1 batteries
to work with the xenarc 700YV monitor?
Thanks....
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

On-board LCD

I posted here before to find interest in the rig I built and have advised a few of you how to build it now- I thought I'd send links to the pieces and describe what it is. The Xenarc monitor has 480X800 native resolution- just like the Marshall. In fact the astro's, marshall's, ERG's out there are all this rez until you pay in the $2000 range and then the rez goes up slightly. The monitor also has pixel for pixel display with built in scaling, which means it's underscan and it is sharp enough to pull focus with under most conditions with a good AC. It will handle 480i 480p, 720p, and 1080i and possibly 1080p. Ive used it with a Component to VGA converter box on the Panasonic HVX-200 in 1080 24p mode and it works- I believe the compnent signal however is 1080i. Works with the JVC HD-100- Haven't tried the Canon H1 yet. Below is a link for the component>VGA convertor I'm using which has two VGA outs and also a Component flow through which is really worth it if you want to run the on-board and a directors monitor at the same time. VGA converter: https://www.audioauthority.com/index...ore&iProduct=1

The best is if you power the monitor and this box off a separate battery supply- I suggest wiring up an Anton Bauer or IDX plate or another type light weight on-board battery. You will however have to regulate this battery to 12v DC exactly for the box. The monitor can take 11-17v. Most IDX and Anton Bauer blocks are 16V DC when fresh and gradually drop off. There are plenty of DC>DC regulators out there (and you can up or down convert to 12v) but be careful that they fall in the range that you need. If you are trying to power this unit off the same battery as the one powering the camera there is an issue with isolating the negative ground from affecting the sync of the box. You have to isolate the ground and here is a link for a tiny solder-on type unit that does the job: http://www.mouser.com/search/refine....RefType%3DHome

Here is another unit that is a bigger box: https://www.audioauthority.com/index...re&iProduct=44

With this set up I am able to power box and monitor with IDX blocks for about 4-5 hours solid on a JVC-hd100. Colors however cannot be judged because the signal is heavy in the green range and I think this has something to do with the phase, which the monitor has phase adjustment, but it is out of the range of correction. The component flow through connectors are not affected so a directors secondary monitor is a clean signal. Earlier in this post are the links for the cheapest Xenarc- I recomend the 700YV because for a few bucks more you get two extra standard RCA composite inputs as well as sound with a built in speaker or headphone jack. I have actually used this to feed the director sound when using a wireless set up directly on camera. One other issue with using this on-board as a rough and ready directors monitor for run and gun- I have used a 12 ft. cable successfully, but a 25 ft. one made the monitor unstable and visible banding appeared in the signal- probably a signal amplification issue- so using it on a large crane is not a good idea unfortunately until I can figure out a solution.
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for such a complete description! Appreciate your taking the time to do it.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software