Dell 30" & 24" LCDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 12th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dell 30" & 24" LCDs

I have just placed an order for two Dell 30" LCD's and two Dell 24" LCD. I will only be keeping a select combination for my main editing computer. These are the high resolution 2K+ and 1080p+ screens not HDTV's.

Should I:
Use 2x 24" LCDs
OR
1x 30" LCD

So there it is, two LCD's is always better than one but I mean THIRTY INCHES of 2560x1600 !!!

There is always the possibility of 1x Dell 24" and 1 30" HDTV (a budget 720p one for the same price as another Dell 24").

There it is, I guess I could always wait for them to arrive and have a look but comments would be great on preference as I could still edit the order.
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Went through the exact same consideration this last month, ended up using the dual setup for three reasons (same kind of choice, but on the Mac Pro).

- the cost / setup of graphic cards to push a single display that size is far more intensive than two monitors with two good cards.

- transportation of a big ass display is a scarry thing, the 24" is scarry enough to move. The spring loaded stand makes these monitors slightly awkward.

- easier to use a 24' in the field as a monitoring device for a camera than a 30". The 24" is a good and large enough size. We have the DELL 24" and love ours for this.

However, as a plus on the side of the 30" (all functions aside), it's very impressive to gaze upon one, and is without a doubt an ego boost. ;)
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Got the screens a few days ago. Have only set-up one of the 30" screens.

Impressions:

Colour is very good out of the box, slightly over saturated. Suprisingly accurate for an LCD of the price.

Can't get skintones as nuteral as I would like.

Ghosting is a slight issue, but really no more than my Chimei 22" Wide LCD which is only 8ms (rather than 14ms/11 with the Dell 3007wfp).

The thing is just impressivly big. I have my 22" next to it and it honestly looks under half the size. I can fit 4 windows in it of IE or word or what-have-you and see everything intended. Very sharp images.

720 uprezed to 1080 shows more noise than I have ever seen but for a good 1080 source it is not a noisy as people say including SD DVD playback.

The monitor is beautiful, better looking than the other Dell LCD's including the 24". The adjustiblity is fantastic for the size. Spring loaded to easily bring the entire panel up and down (right down untill it nearly touches the stand!). Good tilting and above average pivoting.

Standard DVI input, nothing special like the 2407wfp where I can directly monitor my FX1. This is a shame, I will open the 24" tomorrow to see what the componet in is like.

Ask away!
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So what did you find out? :)

Dell has the 3007 for around $1300 right now, and I have been looking for a monitor to go with a new Mac Pro and ATI 512MB graphics card.

I've got the space for the 30" and at that price it's hard not to go for it, but like you said, with the 24 (and many other 23-24s) I can use it for playback right off the FX1. Two 24s would take up too much horizontal space on my desk, but that 30 fits just right. If it had the component inputs I'd be sold already...
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The component inputs on the 2407 are not too flash. They are good for focus and underscan but that's about it. Colours are far to saturated, and the noise is like that camera is stuck at +12db gain. It's still an awesom thing and I will use it for our next location shoot.

What I'm planning on doing is keeping a 24" and then (for virtually half price of the 3007) getting a new Acer 32" LCDTV. It's only 720p but has HDMI and components etc, so I will have two good monitors for location. In the studio, the 24" will be directly infront of me (will have to get use to the small size as I'm writing this on the 30" atm!) and then the 32" off to the side for preview/monitor. Its the Acer AT3220B which is their new, only non-ugly looking LCD.
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hmm, good to know. I wouldn't be taking it anywhere or using it on shoots, this would be stationary 100% of the time. And I don't have the space for both a 24" and a 32" LCD TV like you're using... (though that sounds like a nice idea and an even better value).

The only time I would use the component inputs would be for watching raw footage straight off the camera, but it sounds like I'd be better just importing and going through the DVI.

This has been a huge help to me. Thanks a ton!
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Dell just bumped the price back up to $1500. Weak!

They do have some refurbs of the 3007 on the dell outlet for $1150, but I'm wondering how many of the refurbs were returned for dead pixels and such...
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software