24 inch Dell as field monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 20th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Large CRT as field monitor?!?!
On a dramas or high end productions yes, anything below 14" isn't really much use on HD, but if you just want to see the framing the smaller LCD's are fine. Documentaries are different, you wouldn't want to carry a large CRT on those (9" CRT is about the limit).

However, CRT is still regarded as superior for making colour judgements. Although, for location stuff a number of people do use the Apple 23" and the Panasonic 17" LCD is getting good reports. One thing about LCD is that you really need to be on axis, you can't tell a thing standing off at an angle to the screen.

I believe the Apple 23" works on 24.5 volts DC as well as AC.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale
I believe the Apple 23" works on 24.5 volts DC as well as AC.

Yes, you're right: 24.5VDC it is.

Couldn't find what are the current demands for the 20" and 23" types, which is probably lower for the former.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:39 AM   #18
Contributor

Most LCD monitors would likely run on DC internally - this would explain the lesser power demands on battery/DC as there are no losses in the AC/DC conversion.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #19
New Boot

Right

Right the LCDs (and I like my Dell 24" thank you) are great for detail and focus judgments, but NOT color and black levels.

-Christopher S. Johnson
Christopher Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Vincent asked how this works

a JVC field monitor which runs on both AC as DC.
AC: 120v x 0.9A = 108 watt
DC: 12v x 4.3A = 51.6 watt

Well, the answer is that the transformer, and diodes in the power adapter turn the AC into DC at a cost. The AC adapter in this case will consume 108 watts of energy, while putting out the required 51.6 watts of 12 vold DC. No magic, the adapter just turns 51.6 watts of the power into DC, and the other 56.4 watts become heat.

That's why I hate using inverters. All electronics use DC on the inside, so if you power the AC adapter with an inverter you waste a ton of energy. In that scenario you take a huge DC battery, lose about 50% converting DC to AC, then power an AC adapter to convert it back to DC and lose another 50%. In the above setup, it would use 200+ watts from the battery, and deliver 51.6 to the monitor.

Also there is the issue of quality, low quality inverters can introduce noise into the power. This can stress the components causing a shorter life, and of course make problems in your audio.

So, I highly recommend the AB or IDX batteries. They will make the whole setup simpler, more effecient, and lighter!

That's all I can help with though, I have never adapted them like this, but I'm sure it can be done.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Deming
All electronics use DC on the inside, so if you power the AC adapter with an inverter you waste a ton of energy.
That's almost true in most cases. I am not so sure how LCD monitors work there, but CRTs needed AC.

If LCD monitors work internally off DC only, then you can find out where that supply point is and feed it with DC from the outside.

No doubt you can do that with electronics, which usually feed off 5 to 12VDC, or some +/- version.

But I am not sure about LCD screens. What do they need?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software