I got the new Gateway 24" monitor tonite. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I got the new Gateway 24" monitor tonite.

Got the new Gateway FPD2485W 24"HD monitor tonite at BestBuy.

COuld not wait for real reviews - my monitor died today. They did not even know what i was talking about since they had just arrived and we only found them using the inventory computer (they were way up on a top shelf).

$679 +tax.

Out of the box it is waaaay too brite, too contrasty, and a touch too blue.

I did the calibration wizard that came with the unit. But I dont think this is very exact and I am no monitor guru. It needs more adjusting later.

I looked at a band test image and I do see a SLIGHT amount of banding in the mid-grays - BUT the same site's other test images showed that this unit is still not properly calibrated yet. Its too late to fool with it any more tonite.

Tried the game Battelfield2142 and saw no ghosting or latency problems to this non-professional eyeball. Text is very sharp in the native 1600x1200 mode. This screen feels BIG compared to my previous 20". Havent tried other resolutions yet.

Overall I like this monitor - image is impressive to this amateur eye.

Only 2 negatives: 1) 1 year warranty, 2)no HDMI input (but lots of others)

For those not familiar with the specs:

• 24" widescreen
• 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution
• 1000:1 contrast ratio
• 6ms response time
• 450 cd/m˛ brightness (had to set it down to 60/100 to avoid sun tanning ;-) )
• 178/178 viewing angle
• VGA, DVI, Composite, S-Video, Component, Composite,(yep TWO sets of composite inputs)
• USB 2.0 (4 sockets)
• cooool blue lite touchsensitive buttons on the frame - menus appear right next to them onscreen so buttons align with on screen choices
• GatewayShield™ with EZTune™ anti-theft software and lock slots for total security
• HDCP-compliant
• swivels 90deg to portrait and is very adjustable
• Faroudja video processing
• 1080p - into DVI and both composite inputs - dont think Dell does this...

I dont have my HD camera yet so cannot plug one in (A1 or V1? decisions decisions). I will happily test this if someone will send me a camera ;-).

Overall I like this monitor and it seems like a bargain. Again I am not techie, just wanted to give a first human eyeballs impression for those who are waiting.
Rick Hensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Trustee

These are not color production grade monitors. You won't get the accuracy of a CRT (if that's what your used to -too bad it died, you could have used it as a reference while adjusting). Make sure to make adjustments without exterior lighting (i.e. at night, in the dark). If it's too blue, then your color temp might be set to cool. It also depends on what 'mode' your in, (i.e. game, video, etc.) So read up the on manual some.

I found the 22" a little harsh on the reds and reduced that a little via the RGB panel.

HDCP is enabled via the DVI input so it's future proof in regards to content. If you pass it off as an HDTV monitor later, you can get an HDMI/DVI adaptor.

Not bad for the money. Especially considering almost $1200 for viewsonic 21" CRT a few years ago.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hensley
Got the new Gateway FPD2485W 24"HD monitor tonite at BestBuy.

• 1080p - into DVI and both composite inputs - dont think Dell does this...
Does this mean that I can come through a Mac Pro's DVI connection and see 1080 video on this?

On various threads on this site, I see suggestions that one needs an AJA or Blackmagic card to monitor HD while editing -- but you seem to be saying that that is not so.
Gene Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

You should be able to plug it into your mac without problems. However it's true that you do need a card to see full quality HD video as you edit. If you don't have one then you will have to use FCP's Digital Cinema Desktop to drive the second monitor. In this case you are just using the screen plugged into the second monitor port on your computer, and the software gives you a relatively low quality preview image. This may be fine for your needs, but it isn't the same as the full quality preview you would get from a card, because the card itself does the needed processing which FCP isn't able to do in realtime.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software