View progessive footage on interlaced monitor ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

View progessive footage on interlaced monitor ?

I'll be shooting with a V1U in HD 24p/30p. I would like to export the files on my computer via a firewire cable and then watch it on my monitor. So basically to have a 1:1 pixel ratio, my monitor must have at least 1080 pixels of horizontal resolution. But what about the way it shows the movie, I mean can I watch progressive footage on an interlaced monitor or does I need a progressive monitor ?

Are there any other solutions ?

Thanks !
Manfrotto 755MF3 Tripod
Manfrotto 701RC2 Head
Philippe Dionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Major Player

to my mind regular LCD monitor shows progressive picture. If you still want to show your footage on interlaced monitor, the signal will be split up into fields...
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Are you sure ? Can anybody confirm that every or most LCD monitor shows progressive pictures ?

Thanks !
Manfrotto 755MF3 Tripod
Manfrotto 701RC2 Head
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Dionne
Are you sure ? Can anybody confirm that every or most LCD monitor shows progressive pictures ?

Thanks !
That's always been my understanding...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I think the answer to you question is yes, no and maybe. (not sure what order!)

If your NLE is set up to output interlaced video via preview then you'll see interlaced effects and it won't be smooth because your LCD isn't designed to do interlaced field blending like a true video monitor. If your software or hardware provides for frame blending on the fly then smoothing your interlaced video to some extent is possible and can mimic how your video will look when shown on a TV or true video monitor. A good example of this is the Matrox MXO, it has a field blending setting where it modifies, via it's hardware, any interlaced HD or SD signal and gives you smooth, video monitor like playback (without the combing) on your DVI based LCD.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I asked my questions to some local shops near my home and they all said that usually LCD monitors shows a progressive image. Now, I hope Vegas or Premiere Pro has the ability to switch between interlaced or progressive preview.

Thanks !
Manfrotto 755MF3 Tripod
Manfrotto 701RC2 Head
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to accomplish here. A computer LCD is basically designed to display a progressive type of signal although what you see normally on your desktop isn't really the same as a progressive video signal. That's why your computer LCD doesn't usually display interlaced (or even progressive) video as well as a video based LCD. Same holds true in reverse when you mirror your desktop to your video LCD (yuk).

If you want to see your video signal (whether progressively shot or interlaced) in it's full glory you really need to get signal out to a true video LCD or CRT in the highest quality form your system is capable of. If we're talking SD then usually firewire to a deck or camera input capable of converting it to SDI, Y/C or component YUV. Or in the case of some flavor of HD a card or box which also does the same. (SDI, HDMI, component out in the case of HD) I don't believe Vegas or Premiere are capable of doing that via DVI or VGA out to a standard computer LCD.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok I thing I get what you mean. In fact, to view camera's footage by passing by a computer, the better display source is a video LCD or CRT. I have a 37'' Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD screen, so I guess it would be the best display.

But I can't connect my computer to my Aquos for a couples of reasons. So now I have to buy a LCD monitor that (if I understand well) will display a quite good picture but of lesser quality than my Aquos would.

While most LCD screens shows a progressive picture, I only have to look for a screen that fit 1080 pixels of horizontal resolution and the better contrast ratio, response time and brigthness.

Am I correct ?

Thanks !
Manfrotto 755MF3 Tripod
Manfrotto 701RC2 Head
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

The video you're capturing with your sony is interlaced (or progressive) YUV which can't be played out in it's true form via a DVI/VGA computer graphics card. Your NLE converts the native video to RGB at a different frequency for preview/display on your computer monitor and that's what's causing the difference your seeing.

I have a Sony video LCD that has both DVI and analog component video inputs. When I connect it to my Macbook Pro via DVI it displays the RGB signal properly. When I connect it to the component out of my Canon camcorder or the Matrox MXO it displays the video out of the camera properly. The source and connection dictates what the LCD displays.

Your 37" LCD may be 1080p capable but until you connect it to a true 1080p video source and not your computer graphics card all you are going to see is an RGB converted preview and that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

A firewire stream still has to go into the D/A convertor in a camera or deck before it can be displayed properly on a video monitor.

I think you need a specialized video card or a box like the Matrox to connect that 37" to, not a different monitor.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for making all this clearer, now I understand what's going on. Knowing that via DVI/VGA the source is no more YUV and is converted to RGB, is there a major difference between YUV and RGB ? Is it a change in picture quality or coulours fidelity ?

Thanks !!
Manfrotto 755MF3 Tripod
Manfrotto 701RC2 Head
Philippe Dionne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software