Laptop requirements for HDV Rack 2.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 31st, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Laptop requirements for HDV Rack 2.0

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 series, V2570NR laptop, currently and can get academic pricing on the HDV Rack 2.0 for just $159.99.

Obviously, my laptop does not meet the minimum requirements listed on Serious Magic's site for HD applications.

However, I really don't need-NEED HDV Rack right now per say, and as such I would rather wait until laptop prices on systems *exceeding* current minimum requirements come down. Still, need my laptop though in the mean time for my studies (and for that, it's perfect, very mobile, lovely screen, plenty powerful enough for Microsoft Office applications).

My laptop's specs are 1.8ghz. AMD Turion 64 Mobile processor with 512mb ram, albeit the ram is shared with an ATI Radeon XPress 200m video card. Upgrading to 2gig ram would set me back around $200 but a reasonable simple upgrade, and the processor I would think while not exactly 2ghz as specified as minimum per Serious Magic, is pretty comparable to a 2ghz Pentium M.

The stock hard drive, however, is slow at 60gb, 4200rpm. I'm assuming I could buy a faster humungo sized external hard drive for recording the footage to using HDV Rack (which I would do anyway even if I bought a faster laptop), but as for performance of the software don't know if this would work and to what extent I would feel the crippling effects of my oldy-moldy technology.

Basically, I'd like to hold off on buying a laptop until the summer. I don't think upgrading my hard drive to 5400 or 7200 rpm is worth it at this point, would set me back about an additional $200 in addition to the ram upgrade. At that point, it'd just be wise to buy a higher performance used laptop right now.

Long story short, do you think if I upgrade upgraded to 2gig ram, my laptop otherwise stock, would be "functional" using HDV Rack 2.0 for basic monitoring (say fairly static, sit down type interviews) and recording with a Canon A1 shooting in high-def?

Thanks again for any insight.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Reference Another Discussion

I might suggest a reference to this thread but not because it deals with HD Rack (it does not) but because it has a lot of laptop (more like portable desktop) specs and pricing information.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software