Monitors to use with the XL H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitors to use with the XL H1

I've noticed that there are many people using marshal monitors with their camera for HD monitoring, i was wondering though, would this be a good monitor? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=400388&is=REG

the reason i ask is it seems ot have a higher resolution, and lower cost...
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that is a SD display even though it has roughly the same resolution as a Marshall HDSDI model.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Monitor for XL H1

We had a Marshall HD monitor and were VERY displeased with it. Frankly...we returned it.

We looked hard and long for a good portable HD monitor.

We ended up buying the Panasonic BT-LH900A. Great monitor for HD...with scope included. Does HD, component, composite.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=BT-LH900A
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Richardson View Post
I've noticed that there are many people using marshal monitors with their camera for HD monitoring, i was wondering though, would this be a good monitor? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=400388&is=REG

the reason i ask is it seems ot have a higher resolution, and lower cost...
That monitor does not have the same resolution as the Marshal HDSDI model, if you look closely that varizoom has about half SD resolution.
I have the Marshal HD with component inputs and have been very happy with it. Granted it is ED resolution but for its size it is quite sharp and very easy for me to get sharp focus even when using a 35mm adapter. But then maybe that's just me.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
We had a Marshall HD monitor and were VERY displeased with it. Frankly...we returned it.

We looked hard and long for a good portable HD monitor.

We ended up buying the Panasonic BT-LH900A. Great monitor for HD...with scope included. Does HD, component, composite.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=BT-LH900A
Really nice. Also $5k :)
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

it may have half SD in vertical resolution but in horizontal it states 1440.

The panny does look like a nice monitor, but its in 4x3 aspect ratio.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

the only real drawback of the HDSDI Marshall is contrast ratio when doing outside shots. you will need a hood for it. other than that I love it and it is
less than half the price of the Panasonic...although it does not have scopes, etc.

We use the XL series AB brick adapter for the H1 and power the Marshall using a AB powertap to xlr power adapter (there is a nifty little powertap outlet on the top of the AB adapter).

I'm still confused why Canon doesn't just offer an aftermarket HD vf and
extender. it can't be that hard to make. :(
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #8
Trustee

I bought the varizoom swit, and am fairly happy with it. No it's not really hi def (they call it "his res") and you can't calibrate it, but it looks pretty good and is very handy on long tripod mounted shots.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Major Player

We really like the Marshall....when we looked at it and purchased it. We had two major problems...I hope you aren't having the same if you have the Marshall.

1. Sent back to Marshall 3 times. On a shoot...poof. Stopped working. Marshall admitted the problem after the 3rd repair...saying they have a heat issue...and it will always do this. Not acceptable to lose a monitor in the middle of a shoot. And...there is no fix...just keep returning it for a repair.

2. The brightness control threw everyone off as far as camera exposure. If you crank on the brightness knob...the shots looked over exposed. We didn't know which was right...(obviously we trusted the camera)....but we ran into a scenario where one of our camera ops trusted the monitor...and all the footage came back at 80% ire. We asked Marshall about it...actually showed them the problem at NAB...and they agreed they also had problems with that on that monitor.

The monitor I'm talking about is the Marshall VR-65HD.

You are correct...the Panasonic is expensive (really 4k from a dealer)...but we looked at many monitors for field use. The Astro is an excellent monitor....except...is displayed SD in a small 3x4" window on it's monitor. It really only did HD.

The reason we like the Panasonic monitor is it takes EVERYTHING for an input...Component, SDI, HD-SDI, and composite. AND...it displays SD as well as HD. It truly can be a monitor you'll have for many, many years. AND...it also displays all forms for HD and SD running at different frame rates. Like 23.987 from a Sony F900 Cine Alta. No flickering.

Again...just my opinion...but I spent nearly 2 weeks testing field monitors. Belive me...I didn't want to spend the 4k on a monitor...but the Marshall was close to 3k if I remember properly.

I really believe we won't need to replace that Panasonic monitor for many years...and if you amortize that over several years...it's worth the investment.
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Richardson View Post
it may have half SD in vertical resolution but in horizontal it states 1440.

The panny does look like a nice monitor, but its in 4x3 aspect ratio.

Benjamin...
the monitor is 4x3 but displays 16x9 letterboxed...nicely...and you can centerpunch the monitor in a 4x3 when shooting HD...if that's they way you will post a HD shoot.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Major Player

I can't think of the model number but the Panasonic 17 inch monitor that costs around $2,700... has anyone used this with the XLH1?

I know its 720p... we used it with a Cine Alta and it worked find... just wondering if it will work with the Canon.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Are you thinking of the Panasonic BT-LH1700W? I use in for editing. At 16 pounds it is pretty heavy to carry around in the field, however on my last shoot I stuffed it in it's Porta-Brace custom case and took it along. It it built very well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Yeah that's it...

So are you using it with FCP and footage from the XLH1?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Sorry, I do not have a XLH1. It seems to me that they would be a good match, however.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software