monitor info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 21st, 2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

monitor info

i'm looking to buy a monitor to hook up to my machine.

this is the monitor i've been looking at:

JVC - JVTMH1700GU - TM-H1700GU 17" Color Monitor

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/item/IC=JVTMH1700GU-REG___BI=15___NI=B508AC5CF

from BHPhoto. seems to be a really nice monitor. though i could be wrong.

so i also need to get a pci video card for my computer. the thing is i don't want to buy $1000 card because i plan on getting a new machine as soon as apple releases a new version of tower. i just want something i can use in my G3 for now and possibly in the new machine. or just get a better one then.

does anyone have any suggestions on monitors (in the 600-700 price range, at most) and mainly on video cards or equipment to hook it up with.

i was looking at the focus enhancements T-View gold pci card to use with the monitor. for now until i get a new machine and equipment that's going to have to last me for a while. ie: new dv deck and new digi cam.

just kind of need help deciding what equipment i need in general to do what i'm looking to do.

any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks. J.
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:07 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm using an ATI Radeon 7000 Mac edition on my G4 under MacOS 9.2 with FCP and it works fine. It gives you s-video for your monitor plus you can also add another computer screen (either VGA or DVI). Cost is around $120. Here's a link to some info on MacWarehouse's site http://www2.warehouse.com/product.as...cat=mac&blind=

(actually, I'm assuming you're talking about an NTSC video monitor, but I just re-read your post and now am not sure whether you really meant a computer monitor. No matter, the ATI card will drive both)...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

whoops sorry. i should be more specific. yes i meant a video monitor. thanks for the input. i'll have to check that out.

perhaps if you can also answer me what other kind of equipment i should be looking into. i'll be doing mostly event filming like snowboarding and skateboarding and perhaps some indoor things hopefully be able to get into motorcross and stuff. and then put onto DVD's for the most part.

i'm trying to get a little something started with some of my co-workers on the side. i'll be using a DV cam (perhaps XL1 or a panasonic), FCP and AE5.5 for the most part.

just want to make sure that my capturing devices are as high quality as i can afford. so might you have any suggestions of things to look into: cameras, decks, cards?

i appreciate any further input. thanks again. J.
Old April 21st, 2003, 05:55 PM   #4
Warden

I'm not a big Sony fan, but they do make the best monitors, in my opinion. Their monitors have a different look and color than almost any other monitor (at least in that price range). So many people are used to viewing video on a Sony that anything else has a different look to it. Many people find the different look not to their liking. You can search monitors and you find threads discussing colors, phosphors and what features are a must.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software