Geez...I blown my 9.2" HAMI LCD Monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Geez...I blown my 9.2" HAMI LCD Monitor.

I got a 12v 2.2AH battery. And plug it in the LCD. It didn't turn on. After 3 seconds. I heard a POP sound. Then sounds like something got fried. Oh my god...I want to know if there are any fuse inside the monitor so that I can replace it. Or the whole thing got fried?
Lau Ho Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry, I am not familar with the HAMI monitor.

However, on the DC power in connector to the monitor, does it state what input voltage it expects?

If so, is it 12 volts?

If so, did you wire the connector properly, in other words was +12volts to the proper pin and ground to the other?

You may be able to find a fuse inside if you take it apart.
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

My dad did the wiring job. He definietly reversed the polarity. I have never use the monitor even once. The now it fried.
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Reversing the polarity probably caused your problem.

Your vendor may be able to assist you.
Old March 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It takes 2 weeks for them to send them back and CHECK and tell us whether it can be repaired or not and it may costs more than buying a new one. I can't afford to wait that long. So if only the fuse blown. I can repair it myself. Otherwise the LCD is dead and I will have to buy a new one.

And how can I make sure the LCD won't blow up again when I plug it with a 12v battery. I'm pretty scared by this experience. The LCD burnt before I even have a chacne to use it. I will kill myself if it happens again.
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Inner Circle

fuse do not blow with pop and bad smelling.
probably there is some component that was fried in the process, but with some luck, it is only a diode or a voltage regulator and you just need to change it (it will be easy to find, just look for something fried).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alright. I accepted the fact that my LCD is dead.
Now I'm going to get a second one. Please help me. What should I do to avoid frying my second LCD? I bought a cheap 12V 2.2Ah battery(Those battery which look like a black brick) and wire it into a plug. Beside polarity. Will the value of 2.2Ah blow up the monitor?
I can't afford another mistake. I will go mad.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

devices only take what they need from a battery (exception are LEDs), so you do not need to worry on rated amps for a power supply or battery.
if your screen eats 1200mA and your battery is 2200 mA, then so far so good, you will get easily more than 1 hours capacity.
The only way not to burn the next screen is to make sure polarity is ok on the plug (as well voltage).
If you use some cable that clamp on a battery and there are some risks to invert polarity, just add a diode into the cable so there will be no problem if you make a mistake..
keep the dead screen for parts, for example if you break the screen.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks. Your tips is really helpful will certainly stop me from burning the next screen. I'm going to get a new screen. Wish me luck :)

BTW. I opened the case of the monitor and didn't see anything broken/destroyed/burned, that is even more troublesome. And bad news is that I can't see any fuse or diode built inside the monitor. So the 12v reversed charge probably damaged the circuit.
Lau Ho Ming is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software