All in one monitor - LCD vs Plasma ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #1
New Boot

All in one monitor - LCD vs Plasma ??

Hello, I have a question. I already have dual 30in Apple monitors for my on computer work, so this is apllied to my secondary reference monitor I am getting for the back wall for all to see (46" - 50" is a must) - As I do know for monitoring fim production nothing is better than a pro HD studio reference monitor, please don't tell this, I already know, BUT I must make my choice between a line of extremely high end HDTV/Monitors, because of the facility I have it going in. My facility has to cater to ALL film production, graphic design, special effects work, computer work mirroring, DVD playing, some composite product playing (my outside surveillance), Digital CABLE receiption and playing of T.V., and Video Games (XBox,Playstation, etc..) -- Basically just replace what I already have up there with a completely high end model. And currently I have a T.V. I bought when I was 16 !! LOL -- and it has actually worked fine so far. I just need 1920x1080 referencing now.

So after my long research I have seen 2 AWESOME HDTV's that have all these requirments and them some. Thing is is one is a LCD (the Sony Bravia XBR3 line) and the other is a Plasma (Panasonics new TH-50PZ750U).

So for our types of applications (video and HD video being the most important, but with still not leaving out ALL them other applications I earlier mentioned) WHICH is better ?

Also I wanted to mention, that new Panasonic Plasma has what they call a "Studio Reference Mode" which they say is for film makers and allows you to calabrate, reference, etc.... plus got all them tuners I need and inputs, etc... But maybe it is just lame ? I don't know-- PLEASE take the time to read about these new awesome HDTV/Monitors before you reply. Their specs are just simply amazing, and they will look very nice up on my wall in the studio. So I must go with either one of these, OR some other compreable one you recommend that I may have overlooked in my research.

Here are links to the new HDTV/Monitors :

The Sony -
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/EINT...me=specs&var2=

The Panasonic-
http://www.cybertheater.com/panasoni...50u-plasma-tv/
(its not actually out yet until June, but you can still read about it)

I just want to know if there is a general rule of thumb, to stay away from plasma, or stay away from LCD ? Or does it not matter ? What ?

Thanks so much --
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Major Player

LCD and letter readability is very high

I use my 50" Sony HDTV LCD panel for video, spreadsheets and website presentations to my clients from my PC. I also stream all my websites videos and archived avi, wmv, rma, mov video clips and soundtracks(visualizations) to the LCD Panel. One thing is "very certain" when I go straight DVI digital from the PC graphics card direct (almost it hooked through aGefen 2-port DVI switch) to the DVI input of the LCD Panel all the characters, letters and numbers in the Excel spreadsheets are very sharp and easy to read. When I try the same function through component or S-VHS forget it.

My existing LCD is native 1366x768 I'm waiting to purchase the new Sony 52" XBR4 which has 120Hz refresh rate and a 2.5 millesecond response time for pixel update. It is of course 1920x1080p and supports HDMI 1.3.

There is one problem I have with the setup I get about a 7% underscan of the monitor so I loose about 7% of the border area of my whole PC's normal screen. This means I can't see the PC's taskbar at the bottom of the Sony's LCD panel, so I had to drag the taskbar up a notch so I would be able to see it at all times. I was thinking of getting a video scaler like the Crystallo II (pixel magic systems) until I found out how much it cost;-}
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Douglass for the reply. Seems no one else is interested in this topic or something. lol

Great news, about a Sony LCD being fine for that part of it. I also am going to be using it for my dv/film movie/commercial editing/production referencing, so that is part of the equation as well that seems to be unansered if it is good enough.

Also, the question of whether for our line of work and applications if LCD would be better than Plasma ? or vice versa ? I wish someone would answer that one for me. Because Panasonic Plasmas and Sonys LCD's seem to be hand in hand and in great competition, but which "type" is better for our type of applications.

Also, I MUST AGREE with your statement, and as I finished this original post in this thread I did see the XBR4's coming out. SO I MUST change my Sony's LCD choice to that. And correct, that is with the 120hz refresh rate, HDMI 1.3, and of coarse 1920x1080 , etc.... along with a SLEW of other great things Sony is able to do with a LCD HD technology.....

So with that in mind, and with Panasonics great knowledge and technology for Plasma,,,, WHICH is better to get honestly ? and why ?

Thanks
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Major Player

LCD panels never burn in.

I would say if you plan to have a PC connected to the panel for extended periods of time LCD is by far the safest bet. You would get logo burn in etc.

I do view my daily's from the Ikegami HL-DV7AW directly on the LCD all the time. I have a Sony DSR-11 attached to my Sony DVD recorder through firewire and the sony DVD recorder is attached to my Sony LCD through component. so I just pop a tape in my DSR-11 and watch through the 50" LCD. The only thing I have tried to do yet is use my Premier Pro 2.0 in an editing capacity on the LCD. I will do that as soon as I get the new Sony XBR4!

Let me know if you hear anything about the video scaler issure on some of the other forums you visit. I wish I could get the PC graphics card DVI output to exactly scale to my LCD monitors native resolution.
For fun I attached a link to a jpg of my home PC.

http://www.videofame.com/Administrat...eCorrected.jpg
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey right on Douglass. Thanks for the valuable information. You helped me make up my mind. I have been getting alot of info from several different sources, and I didn't want to say much here about the other info I have received because I wanted to get honest, noncohersed information from here as well.... and when you mentioned what you did,, it is final brother, I am getting a LCD for sure. Now I am just going to wait for the XBR4's or 5's Or maybe even these SXRD's I have been hearing about, but know nothing about yet.. ha ha...

Hey dude, I wanna say your set up looks nice. Thanks for the pic, and all the info.

Also, yes, I will keep you posted on any other findings I find on anything we discussed here.

Thanks -
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Major Player

PLasma vs LCD

I read and read on this and just get more confused... supposedly the plasma burnin issue is at worst temporary condition, such as letterbox lines after a 2 hour movie has played. It goes away, so I am told. But the blacks are better. However it seems LCD's are very popular.
The other thing I hear is (fast grey-to-grey) LCD- best for sports, plasma best for movies (I'm a movie buff).
I don't know what to think... so if you find reasons to prefer one over the other pls post.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My two bits on Plasma vs. LCD.......... "It depends on your room lighting. Plasma's tend to be brighter in high-lit rooms. if your studio is low lit, LCD's may be ok, but the picture (to me at least) always looks sharper, brighter, more crisp on a Plasma." Guess that's why they generally cost more?
Gary Siu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software