1366 x 768 Vs. Full 1080 LCD TV--- Is there a real difference? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
New Boot

1366 x 768 Vs. Full 1080 LCD TV--- Is there a real difference?

Hello folks,

After I purchased an HD Camcorder, I'm looking for a HD TV... yesterday I went to Costco to see what they've got.

I found an LG 1366 X 768 42" at a good price (2,200USD) but also a Sony bravia 40" 1920 × 1080 (3,500USD), I'm located in Mexico City, so prices are always higher compared to US.

Is there a real difference between the resolutions? is the full 1080 worth the price difference?

I plan to use the screen for watching Blu-Ray discs and my HV20 movies.
Marco Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Delgado View Post
Hello folks,
Is there a real difference between the resolutions? is the full 1080 worth the price difference?
If you can afford it go with the 1080P flat sceen. The resolution is stunning and if you plan on hooking up a Blu-Ray it is a must. 720P will look a lot less sharp in comparison, but looks good none the less. If you get the chance to see a side by side comparison you will buy the 1080P flat screen.

I also feel that a lot depends on the size of the flat screen you are buying. If the screen is 37 inches or less than you will not see too much of a difference between 720P and 1080P. If you flat screen is 37 inches or larger than 1080P can make a huge difference. I have seen a couple of 720P flat screens that look as sharp as some 1080P sets, beleive it or not. Finding the right brand and model is very important. Not all 720P sets are created equal and not all 1080P sets are created equal. If you are looking for a 37 inch or larger 1080P I like Sony and Sharp.

Hugh
Hugh Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I recently put together my first all HD wedding video - looked good on 27 inch 720p screen. Went down to a couple stores to try out the BDMV Blu-ray disc (acts like a DVD) and it was WOW on the 42 inch 1080p screen. I was trying out different blu-ray players. I put on the DVD version of it and the differences in quality of upconverting by different players was obvious. What was even more obvious is that almost any DVD shot with miniDV don't look as good as DVD with video that was NLE (PP2) downcoverted from HD to SD.

Go 1080p, but shop carefully.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software