7" LCD Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7" LCD Monitor

Has any one had any experiences with an external 7" LCD monitor for their camera?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5372&rd=1&rd=1
Let me know your thoughts!
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
Has any one had any experiences with an external 7" LCD monitor for their camera?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5372&rd=1&rd=1
Let me know your thoughts!
I purchased almost the same one from E-Bay a few months ago (same monitor without shoe mount). It has a good picture through RCA and a nice bright screen, but being an LCD I wouldn't trust it for focus or color. I can't get the true color from the color viewfinder to exactly match the contrast of the LCD. I just use it on a crane to see where my XL1s is pointing... at least this one comes with power, mine didn't (it didn't mention it but I just assumed it would).
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

So was it worth the money or a waste of money? I am looking at one becasue I use a tripod on my turkey and coyote hunts and have a very hard time looking through the view finder when the camera is on a tripod.
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I recently purchased a Delvcam 7" (packaged with the Kessler crane) lcd, and am very satisfied with it so far. I'll be using it with the crane, and mounted on the XL2 .

But I agree with Scott that any relatively "cheap" lcd monitor won't be good enough for color. (Although I think my Delvcam is okay for focus.)

And also keep in mind the other accessories that comes along with the monitor--i.e., battery (and how does it mount to the monitor), cables, sun shade, bracket, monitor case, etc. So all in all, you could end up paying more than $300 (which is what I bought the Delvcam for). Hope this helps.

Best,

--Jeff
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
So was it worth the money or a waste of money? I am looking at one becasue I use a tripod on my turkey and coyote hunts and have a very hard time looking through the view finder when the camera is on a tripod.
I would say it's worth the money, but it kinda depends what your looking for... I would say for sitting in a field looking for/at wildlife, it would be good to sit back and see what's in the lens and be able to zoom in/out, etc. with a nice bright picture that your able to see = Good. If you were filming a wedding and trying to get that purfect closeup with manual focus and sure the soft light has the right color = iffy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software