HD monitor for adjusting colours at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Major Player

HD monitor for adjusting colours

Hello, I'm new to filmmaking and would like to know what are the options for a HD monitor if I want to adjust colours in the field?

Or should I just leave it all to postprocess and edit the colours with computer software?

Thank you
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Andris........

I'm not sure what you mean by "adjust colours in the field?".

If you're referring to colour balance, there are very few, if any, options that will give you a good idea of what it's really going to look like on "the big screen". This is something you would be better off learning by trial and error.

If you're trying to adjust other colour parameters "in the field" there must surely be something seriously wrong with your camera.

As for HD monitors, well, there are few HD options of any sort. To my knowledge there is not one sub 21" true 1080 X 1920 field monitor on the market designed to run on battery power. There is not one 24" or smaller HD monitor (LCD) I would trust to get the colour balance right (assuming it could be powered) in a fit.

In short, at this point in time, "field" HD monitors are a myth (In my humble opinion).

In short, learn what settings give what results in what lighting situations and once learned, it will serve you well. It isn't quick or easy but it certainly works.

If you really MUST know what colour temperatures are in the scene, invest in a good Colourimeter (if you can find one) and use that. They're as rare as hens teeth but can be had, I picked mine up second hand (ex Technical College equipment) but it really is about as much use as an ashtray on a bicycle. It's so easy to correct colour in post nowadays, getting all anal about getting the temp right to the last degree is simply that.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you for your input!
Yes, I meant colour balance. Sorry, English is not my primary language.
I will leave colour balance to postprocess then.
Thanks again
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software