ACER Monitor as field monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ACER Monitor as field monitor

I have been reading through the forum today trying to understand if it is possible to use my 19" ACER monitor with DVI-D input for a field monitor with my JVC GY-HD100U?

I guess I am not sure how the jvc would feed a signal into the monitor. Can this be done through the DVI input? And if so how? I have been reading about a HDMI to DVI-D cable but as far as I can see the HDMI cable does not plug into the monitor.

Is there a way to go from the composite outputs to the DVI-D input of the monitor?

I don't know if this can be done but I would love to hear one way or the other so I can get something working.

Thanks
Chris Cherrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To try and answer my own question here it goes:

From what I can tell it is not possible to use just a cable to go from component video to DVD-D. I would need to buy an convertor (costs from $250-$500).

So the next thing I might ask, is there a $200-$300 LCD monitor that has component inputs to handle the output from my JVC GY-HD100U?

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Another option I am looking at is using a component to vga cable. Can this be done without a converter?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

From my research today I have found a way to use my laptop running linux to monitor. As a bonus I was able to figure out how to get my camera to write the mpeg stream to my hard drive live! :)

So for now I am giving up on getting a monitor to run straight from my camera but I might pick it up again due to the fact that the monitoring on my laptop has a half second delay. Not bad and usable but not the best.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, you've done well here Chris. I guess everyone did the right thing by ignoring you and letting you figure it out by yourself eh?
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jamie:

Here is a link of my findings:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=98082
Chris Cherrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software