Latest Wedding Highlight - Bronson & Savannah - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old January 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM  
Latest Wedding Highlight - Bronson & Savannah
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline January 12th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Here's my latest highlights video for review and comments. If you watched the promo trailer on my website then you'll recognize a few shots. Enjoy!

Highlights for Bronson & Savannah on Vimeo

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Views: 3820
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I agree and disagree with you Ethan. I agree that this isn't the best song choice, but mostly because it's a song that has been overused and (for me) has too much of an 80's feel to it. I rarely get to use what I feel is the best song choice. However, I don't think it's a "bad" song. A bad song would be a song like the "Hokie Pokie" because that song has nothing to do with the visuals and the story. This is a love song, and because the visuals are telling a story of love the song fits with the visuals in my opinion.

There are times when I would like to have full control over what song is used for the highlights video, but couples seem to really enjoy having the opportunity to pick something on their own. If they absolutely love this song, who am I to say it's not the best choice, just because it's not MY favorite? Afterall, this is THEIR highlights video for THEIR enjoyment, right?

On a side note, the very first wedding I ever filmed had the highlights video set to this song (and this is the first time since then that I've used it). It was very odd to edit to it again after all of these years.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Luke, yeah the kiss went a bit over the top, but the bride was playing around with him. She's just like that. I think if you know the couple it works, but otherwise it does seem a bit off. Either way, I couldn't leave out the first kiss from their highlights video, lol.

I use the Merlin handheld .. no vest. I would love a vest. I would love $2k to buy the vest. I would love whoever gave me the $2k for the vest. Anyone? Anyone?

But yeah, 95% of the moving shots were with the Merlin. Thanks for watching.
Tell you what, if I get a Flyer you can pay me to take care of all those pesky flying shots, which will free you up to concentrate on those very import locked down tripod shots. ;-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
We could argue it all day long, it's just a matter of opinion but I don't see how someone can say that the wrong piece of music isn't holding back great visuals. If he had edited those same shots to the "Hokie Pokie" can you tell me it would have been as good?

I didn't ever say the piece wasn't good, just that given the strength of the visual elements I was only left to wonder how much more dynamic it could have been if edited to another piece of music. I'd argue that Travis would in part agree with this being a weak musical choice given his comments on Vimeo saying that it wasn't his song choice. Seems to me that he's distancing himself from the music right there.

Again, good job, nice visuals, but how much better would this have been if edited to another song?
I never said wrong music doesn't hold back great visuals because we are certainly in agreement on that. But this tune wasn't the hokie pokie....luckily for travis!

Music choices can certainly be a very tough part of the edit process, especially when we are forced to use certain tracks. i even preach to my own clients that "not all music will compliment their video".

i just didn't think the tune used clashed or took away....thats all.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Excellent question, Joe. It really depends on the situation. If I feel like I might be doing another flying shot shortly, I'll just keep the Merlin attached while I go handheld. Sometimes I don't even fold up the arm. It can feel a bit awkward depending on how you're shooting handheld (angle), but it works. It does make for more physical shooting.

If I feel like I won't be flying for a bit, or if I want a shot where the Merlin would be in the way (like a floor shot), then I'll just take it off. The beauty of the Merlin is that when you put it back on you can recalibrate it fairly quickly once you're used to it.
cool, that's what i thought but good to hear from someone who uses it. thanks.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
i just didn't think the tune used clashed or took away....thats all.
Now that we've both clarified our points, we can agree to disagree.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Tell you what, if I get a Flyer you can pay me to take care of all those pesky flying shots, which will free you up to concentrate on those very import locked down tripod shots. ;-)
But I like flying .... d;-)
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
To me, it held the piece back and never allowed it to be nearly as good as it could have been otherwise.
Absolutely agree. I formed my opinion within 5 seconds after hearing the song choice. I then reformed that as I watched more, but the song certainly held this piece way back- I believe. An excellent soundtrack is as important as composition, color, movement, depth, story and all the other elements that go into a solid production.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Absolutely agree. I formed my opinion within 5 seconds after hearing the song choice. I then reformed that as I watched more, but the song certainly held this piece way back- I believe. An excellent soundtrack is as important as composition, color, movement, depth, story and all the other elements that go into a solid production.

P.
Patrick - Thanks for saying it better than I could.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post

P.
Could you elaborate a bit more on how the song held the piece back? I mean, I'm no big fan of the song, but it didn't seem as detrimental to me as it does to others. Is it the style of music? Is it the pace? Is it the time period? I'd love to get some details on this. Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #25
Trustee

Travis,

Take it as a compliment that Ethan & Patrick are holding you to a very high standard. The first time I watched, I thought it looked great. But having me and/or many others say it's great, versus having more experienced and refined eyes and ears critique it is certainly more valuable. After reading the comments by Ethan and Patrick, I watched it with a more critical eye (or ear), and heard what they meant. The Music you used is perhaps more suited to a Jamaican beach wedding IMHO. You know the clients, and I'm sure they are ecstatic with the product. But I think that the honest, objective opinions of some exceptional wedding videographers is a valuable tool not only for you, but for the rest of us who aspire for greatness in the field.

Keep up the great work!

BTW, what camera are you flying on that merlin? I really liked the opening shot and just picked up an HV20 to use as a backup for my h1. It's the first time I've held one and it feels like a toy compared to my h1. I want to fly it on something, and the merlin has been suggested as being the best bet for such a small cam.
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Ken, thanks for the comments. If there is anyone who posts there work and hopes for constructive criticism it's me. I simply wanted a bit more info on why people were so opposed to the song. Like I said, it's not MY favorite either, but it didn't strike me as a song that would actually take away greatly from the video either. I can see your point about it being more fitting to a Jamaican beach wedding, since it is technically classified as reggae music.

I fly the XH-A1 on my Merlin. I used to fly a GL2, which is half the weight of the A1. So my rig went from weighing about 5lbs to about 10lbs in total (accounting for the extra weight on the arm as well). It's quite tiring over the course of the day, but I do feel that the heavier camera flies better. I also have an HV30, but I don't want to use it because of that. The more weight the better the unit seems to work. You just have to build up the body, lol ... or buy a vest!
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #27
Major Player

music fits well, from my Russian POV :)

Loved first shot. great location, nice stedicam moves..
great shot from above..

Close up shot on earings at the beginning.. not sure about significance..
preparation went well! the ceremony, the hall very smooth..

one thing, that's what I moved towards to, at the end of the last year, to
have more "live" interaction with the B&G, the guests, to get to know them
better, videography by itself becomes boring, (and that's what I hear from
some of my clients :)

CHeers!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks Oleg. It really is important to get to know people. Only then can you truly film what is important to everyone.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #29
Regular Crew

The song was definitly not the best pick on the couples behalf and you have to work with, with what you got to work with. If the customer is very persistent in their song choice and it is dear to them, well they are the client after all and THEY are going to be the ones watching the clip a lot more often than you. So i think you pulled it off quite well considering it wasn't your favorite song. I don't know how many times i was stuck trying to start an edit with a song that just didn't do it for me.

I liked how the couple's shots at the beginning where intertwined, it made the story look like they were getting ready simultaneously.

The color grading over all was good but i wasn't too crazy with choice in colors at the reception and the ceremony. The over the top orange look made it seem like the white balance was set on the wrong color temp setting.

Job well done Travis, as always.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I liked the highlight. What program are you using for color? I also enjoyed the steadicam shots within the piece.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery