DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First Wedding Video - Feedback Plz (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/144681-first-wedding-video-feedback-plz.html)

Brett Weathersby February 26th, 2009 01:48 PM

First Wedding Video - Feedback Plz

Hello all. First let me say thanks to everyone here for all the helpful advice that made my first shoot a success. Here is a post of the preparations highlights only. Honest feed back is appreciated. BTW, the couple loved the finished product with the wedding and reception added in.

MobileMe Gallery

Philip Gioja February 26th, 2009 03:10 PM

Looks good to me - you seem to have a good sense of framing and shot movement and composition. Some of the audio is hard to understand, and I didn't get a big sense of progression or story from the shots or the audio, but for a first wedding, I think it looks good. Keep it up, work on the parts that you get frustrated with, and you'll be in good shape.

Danny O'Neill February 27th, 2009 06:29 AM

A good first vid indeed.

The only feedback I can offer is framing and rule of thirds.

Much of your footage has the subjects head directly in the middle of the shot. But there is no need, you have loads of space above them, pan down and get more in shot. Or better yet get closer (try not to zoom), so as much of the frame is filled up with the subject.

Rule of thirds is another important one, it makes a shot more intresting, by having the subject always in the centre your just always looking there. But by moving them off centre your attention is drawn from one side to the other as the shot changes thus keeping the viewers attention.

Lukas Siewior February 27th, 2009 07:06 AM

I like your vid too. I'm just missing few things:

- more shots with B&G - actually I'm not sure who was the groom
- more cross-fades between shots, to make it smoother
- include more shots from the ceremony itself - not only behind the scenes
- fade in and out the sound inserts

Brett Weathersby February 27th, 2009 12:03 PM

Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice. I will definitely take it all into consideration. Now that I've delivered the finished product and had time to look at it objectively without the pressure of a deadline, I have noticed several things that I would have changed.
I had discussed doing video with a friend of mine who is a well established photographer. I told him I needed 6 months to learn technique and editing. The next week he called and said I was shooting his next wedding that Saturday. So I really was learning on the fly. But, not having any background in film or editing I'm glad to see some positive feedback. It's quite encouraging.

John Stakes February 27th, 2009 12:16 PM

Yep. I agree with the others. One question: Is the shot at 2:40 a handheld shot? If so it came off pretty smooth.

Thanks for sharing!

JS

Brett Weathersby February 27th, 2009 05:59 PM

Hand Held Shot

Yes. All the shots in this piece were handheld. I used a Merlin Steadicam for the reception.