First Wedding Video - Feedback Plz at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
First Wedding Video - Feedback Plz
Brett Weathersby Brett Weathersby is offline February 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Hello all. First let me say thanks to everyone here for all the helpful advice that made my first shoot a success. Here is a post of the preparations highlights only. Honest feed back is appreciated. BTW, the couple loved the finished product with the wedding and reception added in.

MobileMe Gallery

Brett Weathersby
New Boot
Views: 1188
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks good to me - you seem to have a good sense of framing and shot movement and composition. Some of the audio is hard to understand, and I didn't get a big sense of progression or story from the shots or the audio, but for a first wedding, I think it looks good. Keep it up, work on the parts that you get frustrated with, and you'll be in good shape.
Philip Gioja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

A good first vid indeed.

The only feedback I can offer is framing and rule of thirds.

Much of your footage has the subjects head directly in the middle of the shot. But there is no need, you have loads of space above them, pan down and get more in shot. Or better yet get closer (try not to zoom), so as much of the frame is filled up with the subject.

Rule of thirds is another important one, it makes a shot more intresting, by having the subject always in the centre your just always looking there. But by moving them off centre your attention is drawn from one side to the other as the shot changes thus keeping the viewers attention.
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I like your vid too. I'm just missing few things:

- more shots with B&G - actually I'm not sure who was the groom
- more cross-fades between shots, to make it smoother
- include more shots from the ceremony itself - not only behind the scenes
- fade in and out the sound inserts
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice. I will definitely take it all into consideration. Now that I've delivered the finished product and had time to look at it objectively without the pressure of a deadline, I have noticed several things that I would have changed.
I had discussed doing video with a friend of mine who is a well established photographer. I told him I needed 6 months to learn technique and editing. The next week he called and said I was shooting his next wedding that Saturday. So I really was learning on the fly. But, not having any background in film or editing I'm glad to see some positive feedback. It's quite encouraging.
Brett Weathersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Yep. I agree with the others. One question: Is the shot at 2:40 a handheld shot? If so it came off pretty smooth.

Thanks for sharing!

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
New Boot

Hand Held Shot

Yes. All the shots in this piece were handheld. I used a Merlin Steadicam for the reception.
Brett Weathersby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery