DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding Highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/147691-wedding-highlights.html)

John De Rienzo March 31st, 2009 01:02 PM

Wedding Highlights

Would appreciate feedback on this clip. This was prior to our recent purchase of our steadycam pilot, so mostly handheld!

Filmed with Sony FX1.

Cheers,

David & Daniela | Wedding Video

Richard Wakefield March 31st, 2009 01:44 PM

as always, like your quick editing, def. seems to be your style.

found some of the shots to be too soft and diffusy (like a cheap lens), or way too contrasty (losing detail in the blacks especially). IMO less is definitely best sometimes in order to keep max detail on the clips.

also, you seemed to spend too long on it all....e.g. the bride getting ready seemed a whole minute too long for example, and I (the viewer) just wanted it to move on. just because a song is x:xx, doesn't mean you can't chop it down, keep the impact, and still sum up the day effectively.

can't wait to see your steadicam pilot stuff...

John De Rienzo March 31st, 2009 02:25 PM

Colour grading is not my strong point. It's work in progress.

I would appreciate feedback apart from yourself and another.

Kind Regards.

Richard Wakefield March 31st, 2009 02:31 PM

You put a clip for review..you get comments...

John De Rienzo March 31st, 2009 02:34 PM

I appreciate that, but i have reasons to take your comments with a pinch of salt.

Thx for the feedback.

Cheers

Travis Cossel March 31st, 2009 03:15 PM

I'm not sure what's up between you two, but I would have to agree with Richard. You have a 'snappy' editing style which is great. It fit well with the song selection and kept the energy of the piece up.

However, as Richard pointed out, there are definitely some shots that feel too soft. I got the impression that it was use of some sort of diffusion filter either on the camera or in post. For me it hurt the consistency of the video because the extra softness didn't seem to add anything to those particular shots.

I also agree that the edit probably should have been cut down by a minute at least. The bridal prep especially seemed to suffer from some repitition. The ceremony, by contrast, was over and done in the blink of an eye. It just felt a bit out of balance.

For me, most of the coloring was okay. There were some shots that felt out of place in terms of color, but overall it felt fairly consistent to me.

One suggestion for you would have been to end the video with the shot of the confetti on the floor. I loved that shot! As soon as I saw that shot I was wishing that it was the ending shot. Just seems like a perfect shot for that. You know, the party is over and here's what's left. Anyways, that's just a subjective wish.

There is one other thing I want to touch on. This forum relies on participation from everyone. I noticed you're asking for comments from other people, but yet there are no less than 6 other videos posted on here for review that you yourself haven't posted comments on. It's not really fair to expect people to comment on your videos if you aren't returning the favor to them. Without mutual support and participation this forum won't reach it's full potential.

Anyways, thanks for sharing and I hope you find my comments useful!

Richard Wakefield March 31st, 2009 03:43 PM

LOL, seriously, john and I have regular banter, it's totally cool.. Even pass bookings on to him

As said, always like ur confident quick editing style, but on this occasion i was just picking up on things that u might not have thought about before

John De Rienzo March 31st, 2009 03:54 PM

It's true Travis,lol. The thing is if we met I have no doubt we would get on really well.

Bit like a husband and wife arguing...ha!

Thx for your advice. I will make a concious effort to respond to others posts.

Cheers

Jawad Mir March 31st, 2009 04:09 PM

Great Video John. Incredible editing.

I will give one suggestion though. The guy with canon still camera. I think he was overused. Once would have been enough

Nevertheless GREAT VIDEO. I loved some of the shots, especially the opening

Travis Cossel March 31st, 2009 04:23 PM

That's the funny thing about the internet ... glad to hear it's just banter. I thought we were going to have to put you guys in the corner, lol.

John De Rienzo March 31st, 2009 04:44 PM

Hi Jawad,

Thx for your kind comments. Yes, I can see the photographer one too many times!

Cheers

Paul Mailath March 31st, 2009 05:54 PM

I take the point made by Travis - and so I'm commenting.

I watch all the highlight video's with interest because I'm just starting to move in that direction. I don't usually comment because I don't feel I say much that's constructive.

I thought the hand held was fine and I liked the intro to the house, you led us 'through the door' but I did notice the difference between the diffused shots and the others and wondered why you did that, what did it add to the story

I love the fast edit and the rack focus to the bride's face and the drumming of the fingers.

At 51 we see parents leaving and then at 1:02 it looks like she is doing up his collar again (it's most probably another shot entirely but it confused me)

I really like the shots of the church, especially from the window to the book, the reverse at 3:30 and the way you finished on the matches showing name and date.

I still wonder about the inclusion of diffused shots & the black & white, to my view they pull me out of the story rather than carry me along.

I can only tell you what I do and don't like, I have no particular expertise but I'm learning - still

** I just finished the edit of my 1st wedding highlights - oh well, at least I've got plenty to aspire to

John De Rienzo April 1st, 2009 04:54 AM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I recently acquired MB looks and have found on many of the presets it adds diffusion by default! so will have to manually tinker all settings once I choose a preset. The other thing I noticed a while back was it also has a tendency to blow out the whites on many of the presets giving the impression that it has been shot overexposed. Best to manually set everything i guess...

Thank you again.

Noel Lising April 1st, 2009 05:32 PM

John thanks for sharing, you did a great job. My only comments & this has been said already; the opening scene is a bit over diffused for lack of a better term & yes the photog has been appeared one to many.

Thanks again.

John De Rienzo April 2nd, 2009 04:58 AM

Hi Noel,

Thx for your comments. I posted the clip to the photographer involved. He has now added me to his website as a recommended supplier. Is over the moon I have included him, and has embedded the video on his blog with praise.

Worked out quite well in the end! Funny how it goes...

Thank you again.