Highlight clip....Dont know how i should feel about it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Highlight clip....Dont know how i should feel about it
Stephen J. Williams Stephen J. Williams is offline April 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM

The B&G hasn't seen this yet. So please let me know if there is anything I should fix.
Most of the handheld shots was with a fig rig, so please dont expect footage like what you would get for a merlin...
I sorta messed around with the colors a little bit. Dont know if I should try something else.. opinions.....
That shots at the end look really degraded in quality...
These are a few problems I spotted but I'm willing to live with...

Mr and Mrs Carvelli Highlight on Vimeo

Stephen J. Williams
Major Player
Views: 1160
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Well done!

I really enjoyed that

the only shot i would probably cut is 01:06 (the bride and bridesmaid) just because of the rotate shot kinda disturbing.

the kinda shaky fig rig shots are cool!!! bourne style. I would even cut it a bit faster but I know the B&G might not dig it as much.

love the mirror effect shots!

Santo
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Everything looks fine to me overall. Maybe there was just a tad bit too much saturation on the wedding kiss church scene part around .43

Also maybe cut out the shots before .20 as they dont seem to fit in the overall and seemed a bit lower quality then all the rest of the footage.
Dylan Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

I really liked it. Had a nice upbeat track and feel to it and kind of reminded me of a Summer holiday shot on an old super 8 movie. Hope that's the look you were going for!

Just a couple of things...(isn't there always?)

The couples names at 0:14 or so are outside the title safe region. Even when viewed online it looks weird being that close to the borders.

The section during the vow exchange at 0:45 doesn't look right IMHO with a dissolve. A jump cut MIGHT work, or maybe try a cutaway, simple flash or even the film burn effect used earlier?

Thanks for sharing and credit to you for putting it online for review!

Matt.

Last edited by Matt Barwick; April 21st, 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I liked the roughness that the fig rig gave to this piece. Normally it'd bother me, but with this light, bouncy music, I think it worked!

I agree with the little rotation that happens with the bridesmaid shot... that was the only part that bothered me... I actually tilted my head with the "camera" :) I also agree that a jumpcut on the vow part would work better than the desolve.

I love how you ended it with live audio. Were you shooting through cut glass (like a door) for that converstion shot? Loved it! Good job overall... I bet they will be extremely pleased!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Major Player

make sure to make space for another great testimonial on your website cause this one will be coming from this couple.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Major Player

A fun piece for a fun couple. I think they'll love it to pieces. My only suggestion would be to get rid of the dissolve at 1:10, everything on this piece works better as a cut (in keeping with the Super8 style).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Short, sweet, looks great, can't imagine the couple won't be thrilled!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Trustee

Liked the fun feel of the piece, but wasn't particularly thrilled with the skin tones. They were generally either too red or too magenta depending on how you graded the particular shot. I'd watch out for things like that in the future. Otherwise you nailed the fun happy day feel.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks everyone for the input. I went back just now and changed the video based on everyone's suggestions. The input from this forum board is really what matters to me.... So I thank everyone taking the time to write me back.

Santo, thanks for the kind words....I too didn't really feel like I pulled off the bride shot very well. But I liked the setup and wanted it in there so badly. I was really pressured with time and only had about 30 seconds to come up and arrange a shot for the bride and bridesmaids. I ended up finding a salvageable piece out of it and slowing it down to fill in the gap. looks a lot better...

Matt, Thanks for the heads up with the title... I didn't notice it until after I uploaded to Vimeo. I went back and fixed this along with adding a jump cut during the vows. Looks way better, dont know what I was thinking earlier.
You nailed it with the S8 look... I actually shot two rolls on my S8 camera and waiting for them to come back from processing...

Dawn, I like the fig rig... My shots are smoother then before but obviously still need some improvement. I was shooting through a glass window... Good call. The entirety of the clip is pretty cool as I pass through the cuts different faces appear at the right time (during smiles or exaggerations).

Ethan... I went back and bumped down the saturation and took the color closer back to normal then before. there is still a slight amount of magenta/red left, but not as much as before. I posted a thread last night asking for suggestions on color grading. I just got home from my "day" job and am excited to read through it.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery