5DmII on SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
5DmII on SDE
Garry Garza Garry Garza is offline April 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM

The uniqueness of this same day edit is that the ceremony lasted for only a short span of five minutes so we were a bit anxious if we can accomplish same day edit but we successfully did.

Thanks for watching!

Christian & Riza Same Day Edit on Vimeo

Last edited by Garry Garza; April 22nd, 2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Garry Garza
Regular Crew
Views: 2353
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'd definitely say you pulled it off successfully :)

I love your play with focus. This is something that I am currently working on and playing with as well. You had some very creative shots there.

The only thing that was off to me was the sepia-like coloring at the end where they are dancing and then it switches to a brightly colored and normally saturated shot at 3:30. I'm not sure what I didn't like, but it was just a little jarring to me. But a matter of opinion :)

Great job!! Lots of great stuff in there, especially for a SDE!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Looked incredible, nice stable shots great use of focus. Did you pull focus using just the LCD to guide you?

Only downside ceremony audio was not so good.

Other than that well done.

Steve
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Garry looked great.... What did you use to color grad your video, and how? This is the exact look im striving for....
steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys!

Steve - Were having a hard time patching the audio in the venue.

Stephen - for my color grading, I used FMP of videocopilot.
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Great Work. Love 5D magic and Focus pull was beautiful

I do think it could have been a little shorter but then I know SDE is lot of pressure so I can understand

Great Work Again
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Garry,

I did already post a reply to this but it's either been deleted or been otherwise sucked into the ether somehow...

I really liked it. Some of the DOF shots you pulled off were very impressive - particularly the groom > ring #1 > ring #2 shot.

Only thing that killed it for me which has already been touched on was the crappy audio during the ceremony.

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Major Player

like everyone else has said so far, great work!

your focus pulls really added a sense of movement to the shot to accent the steadicam and dolly movements.

real nice.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Garry

It was a great piece, but for me I thought there was too many pull focus shots, I think I counted maybe 8 or so in the first half of the clip, then again I've not attempted a SDE nor do I expect to do so in the near future, so hats off to you for having a go. I'm sure the couple would have loved it.

Cheers
Darren
Darren Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #10
New Boot

Do you have a follow focus on your 5D? If so witch one do you use?
Vinny Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Trustee

The 5DmII is a very useful camera that offers great control over depth of field. One has to be careful to not overuse it though or it can be a bit over the top. If overused, it can make the same impression that overusing the bundled transitions in the new NLE that you just bought makes. It's as though you know you are finished editing when you have used every transition in your new toy.

Overusing effects and transitions, either in camera or in the NLE, distract the viewer. They should be used to help create a mood or tell the story, not wowey - zowey the audience.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Great work, Gary. Especially nice for an SDE. I have a few things to nitpick on but they are pretty minor.

I felt like the DoF shots were overused a bit in the beginning. I also agree that switching back to full-color right at the end was too abrupt. I think it's mostly because you went from sepia to full color within the context of the same scene (the dance).

Other than that, this was very entertaining. Love some of the steadicam work like the shot on the balcony and the shot with the car. I love steadicam shots that have that 'snap' motion. I try those with my Merlin but it's a heck of a lot harder than with a full rig. What are you using?
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Great work, Gary. Especially nice for an SDE. I have a few things to nitpick on but they are pretty minor.

I felt like the DoF shots were overused a bit in the beginning. I also agree that switching back to full-color right at the end was too abrupt. I think it's mostly because you went from sepia to full color within the context of the same scene (the dance).

Other than that, this was very entertaining. Love some of the steadicam work like the shot on the balcony and the shot with the car. I love steadicam shots that have that 'snap' motion. I try those with my Merlin but it's a heck of a lot harder than with a full rig. What are you using?
Thanks guys!

Travis, I used DIY glidecam with 5DmII for my gliding moves.
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Garry,
I looked at your photo montage and it was outstanding! If I may be so bold and ask what program you used to do it. I could do it with Photoshop and my editing app but Lord it would take a lot of work and time. I could never charge enough for it.
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
Garry,
I looked at your photo montage and it was outstanding! If I may be so bold and ask what program you used to do it. I could do it with Photoshop and my editing app but Lord it would take a lot of work and time. I could never charge enough for it.
Terry - for the 3DM, i used after effects for animation and assembled it in premiere.

Cheers!
Garry Garza is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery