DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/236572-short-sweet-5d-1min-eshoot-clip-share.html)

Matthew Ebenezer June 1st, 2009 10:24 PM

Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share
 
During Roger and Hayley's engagement shoot I shot about 11 minutes of video on the 5D, in between shooting stills with Katie. The main purpose of the shoot was taking photos but I wanted to test out my new Cinevate DSLR rig.

The rig is not a beauty pageant winner by any means but in terms of functionality and flexibility it's awesome. I can hardly bare to look at the hand-held footage I was shooting prior to getting a rig like this. Head over to our blog to see some photos of me in action with the rig - Shadowplay Blog Roger and Hayley - eShoot Clip

Shot on the Canon 5D Mark II. Lenses used: Canon 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8 and 20mm 2.8 plus a Nikon 50mm 1.4.

Here's the link:

Roger and Hayley - Short eShoot Clip - 5D Mark II on Vimeo

Comments/feedback/critiques are always welcome.

Cheers!

Matthew.

Matt Barwick June 1st, 2009 10:44 PM

Beautiful Matthew - Loved it!

Lovely intimate feel to it, knockout compositions, gorgeous shallow DOF and bokeh, all finished off with a fantastic music selection. The colouring and location were superb also.

Anything I've left out? :)

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S you're right about the rig not winning beauty contests - looks almost arachnid in one of the pics (!) - but the results speak for themselves.

Oleg Kalyan June 1st, 2009 10:44 PM

Matthew, nice work, spectacular forest,

One question, what Quicktime version is on your computer?
By intensity of contrast it seems that no the latest, showing not full 0 255 RGB range,
unless you've added contrast in post.

Matthew Ebenezer June 3rd, 2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Barwick (Post 1152570)
Beautiful Matthew - Loved it!

Lovely intimate feel to it, knockout compositions, gorgeous shallow DOF and bokeh, all finished off with a fantastic music selection. The colouring and location were superb also.

Anything I've left out? :)

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S you're right about the rig not winning beauty contests - looks almost arachnid in one of the pics (!) - but the results speak for themselves.

Hey Matt! Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to watch it.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Matthew Ebenezer June 3rd, 2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 1152572)
Matthew, nice work, spectacular forest,

One question, what Quicktime version is on your computer?
By intensity of contrast it seems that no the latest, showing not full 0 255 RGB range,
unless you've added contrast in post.

Hey Oleg! Thanks for watching. I'm pretty sure I have the latest quicktime version. I definitely pushed the colours fairly hard on this clip so I don't think it's the 0 - 255 range issue that you're seeing.

Cheers!

Matthew.

Ian Lim June 4th, 2009 02:19 PM

Just got your Vimeo message, Matt... will reply soon :D

Great video btw, bookmarked in my favorites folder already! :D

Matthew Ebenezer June 9th, 2009 06:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd post some of the photos of me in action with the 5D on the Cinevate DSLR rig.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Dennis Wood June 10th, 2009 11:50 PM

Hey room-mate...I see you got back to Australia OK! Loved the piece ... which pretty much shows off that Ebenezer style we discussed over cheap coffee :-) One of the truly great benefits of this Cinevate gig is that we get to meet truly inspiring artists in all shapes, forms and styles from all over the world. You and Katie are truly special regardless of whether we're looking at your collective images, or having our beer goggles featured in them.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com

Bruce Patterson June 14th, 2009 12:59 AM

Hey Matt,

I thought it was a really sweet piece. I was DYING to see some Steadicam/Glidecam fly through those straight rows of trees though! :)

Have you tried using a monopod with the 5D? I would venture to say that it's definitely an under-rated tool. The DSLR rigs are great but I still noticed some slight shake in the footage. I just picked up a cheaper SLR rig from Cavision Rods Support and Accessories that works quite well. If you bring it along with a monopod on a shoot like this, it would definitely give you 2 versatile tools particularly since you seemed to be doing shots that were mainly at "eye level".

How much are you loving the look of the 5D footage though? :)

Matthew Ebenezer June 14th, 2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood (Post 1157017)
Hey room-mate...I see you got back to Australia OK! Loved the piece ... which pretty much shows off that Ebenezer style we discussed over cheap coffee :-) One of the truly great benefits of this Cinevate gig is that we get to meet truly inspiring artists in all shapes, forms and styles from all over the world. You and Katie are truly special regardless of whether we're looking at your collective images, or having our beer goggles featured in them.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com

Thanks Dennis! We really appreciate your kind words and support!

Cheers,

Matthew.

Matthew Ebenezer June 14th, 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson (Post 1158264)
Hey Matt,

I thought it was a really sweet piece. I was DYING to see some Steadicam/Glidecam fly through those straight rows of trees though! :)

Have you tried using a monopod with the 5D? I would venture to say that it's definitely an under-rated tool. The DSLR rigs are great but I still noticed some slight shake in the footage. I just picked up a cheaper SLR rig from Cavision Rods Support and Accessories that works quite well. If you bring it along with a monopod on a shoot like this, it would definitely give you 2 versatile tools particularly since you seemed to be doing shots that were mainly at "eye level".

How much are you loving the look of the 5D footage though? :)

Hey Bruce! Thanks for taking the time to check this out and to comment on it. You can definitely shoot steadier than I do with the DSLR rig but I tend to hold my gear fairly loosely because I like the movement it introduces. So, any shakiness you see is more my 'fault' than the rigs.

I've noticed in a lot of monopod footage I've seen that there is some weird side to side movement, possibly caused by the foot of the monopod rotating slightly on the ground. That's what has kept me away from them, plus the desire to carry as little gear as possible.

As for the look of the 5D footage ... it doesn't get much better! Totally loving it!

Cheers,

Matthew.

Andrew Waite June 15th, 2009 10:16 AM

Matthew,

Good stuff man, good to see you're rockin that 5DmkII man. LOVE the framing/shot compositions... I'm a sucker for the shallow DOF walk into focus shots, doesn't hurt to have such good looking subjects either! Keep it up man!

The Cinevate stuff is just awesome... spent a lot of time in their booth at NAB, I saw you there a lot as well. I agree with you about the aesthetics of the Cinevate stuff, but you're right, it is the must functional and most durable stuff on the planet, not to mention bang for buck it beats out anything out there!

Artem Kudrov June 15th, 2009 10:33 AM

Matthew's style! Love it!

Prashanna Jayaseelan June 17th, 2009 12:06 PM

Great Work
 
Matt
Saw your work 2 days ago, really nice - the song choice and they way it was shot was on point. The shot at 0:24 was awesome - the use of sunlight as backlight on both of them. A fan of your work most definitely. Not sure if you remember but we met in Toronto when you came in to the store with Patrick, but anyways - real nice work.

- Prashanna

Susanto Widjaja June 18th, 2009 11:35 AM

Matthew, can I ask whether you convert the footage to 25p or just stayed 30p?

Thanks

Santo


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network