Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old June 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share
Matthew Ebenezer Matthew Ebenezer is offline June 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM

During Roger and Hayley's engagement shoot I shot about 11 minutes of video on the 5D, in between shooting stills with Katie. The main purpose of the shoot was taking photos but I wanted to test out my new Cinevate DSLR rig.

The rig is not a beauty pageant winner by any means but in terms of functionality and flexibility it's awesome. I can hardly bare to look at the hand-held footage I was shooting prior to getting a rig like this. Head over to our blog to see some photos of me in action with the rig - Shadowplay Blog Roger and Hayley - eShoot Clip

Shot on the Canon 5D Mark II. Lenses used: Canon 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8 and 20mm 2.8 plus a Nikon 50mm 1.4.

Here's the link:

Roger and Hayley - Short eShoot Clip - 5D Mark II on Vimeo

Comments/feedback/critiques are always welcome.

Cheers!

Matthew.

Matthew Ebenezer
Major Player
Views: 4518
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Beautiful Matthew - Loved it!

Lovely intimate feel to it, knockout compositions, gorgeous shallow DOF and bokeh, all finished off with a fantastic music selection. The colouring and location were superb also.

Anything I've left out? :)

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S you're right about the rig not winning beauty contests - looks almost arachnid in one of the pics (!) - but the results speak for themselves.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Matthew, nice work, spectacular forest,

One question, what Quicktime version is on your computer?
By intensity of contrast it seems that no the latest, showing not full 0 255 RGB range,
unless you've added contrast in post.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
Beautiful Matthew - Loved it!

Lovely intimate feel to it, knockout compositions, gorgeous shallow DOF and bokeh, all finished off with a fantastic music selection. The colouring and location were superb also.

Anything I've left out? :)

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S you're right about the rig not winning beauty contests - looks almost arachnid in one of the pics (!) - but the results speak for themselves.
Hey Matt! Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to watch it.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Matthew, nice work, spectacular forest,

One question, what Quicktime version is on your computer?
By intensity of contrast it seems that no the latest, showing not full 0 255 RGB range,
unless you've added contrast in post.
Hey Oleg! Thanks for watching. I'm pretty sure I have the latest quicktime version. I definitely pushed the colours fairly hard on this clip so I don't think it's the 0 - 255 range issue that you're seeing.

Cheers!

Matthew.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just got your Vimeo message, Matt... will reply soon :D

Great video btw, bookmarked in my favorites folder already! :D
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Just thought I'd post some of the photos of me in action with the 5D on the Cinevate DSLR rig.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Attached Thumbnails
Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share-3584758739_4509154c73.jpg   Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share-3584771809_54ea148bf3.jpg  

Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share-3585569258_42c03b7997.jpg   Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share-3585576374_5027afa74b.jpg  

Short and Sweet with the 5D - 1min eShoot clip to share-3586890907_f801d98eba.jpg  
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey room-mate...I see you got back to Australia OK! Loved the piece ... which pretty much shows off that Ebenezer style we discussed over cheap coffee :-) One of the truly great benefits of this Cinevate gig is that we get to meet truly inspiring artists in all shapes, forms and styles from all over the world. You and Katie are truly special regardless of whether we're looking at your collective images, or having our beer goggles featured in them.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Matt,

I thought it was a really sweet piece. I was DYING to see some Steadicam/Glidecam fly through those straight rows of trees though! :)

Have you tried using a monopod with the 5D? I would venture to say that it's definitely an under-rated tool. The DSLR rigs are great but I still noticed some slight shake in the footage. I just picked up a cheaper SLR rig from Cavision Rods Support and Accessories that works quite well. If you bring it along with a monopod on a shoot like this, it would definitely give you 2 versatile tools particularly since you seemed to be doing shots that were mainly at "eye level".

How much are you loving the look of the 5D footage though? :)
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
Hey room-mate...I see you got back to Australia OK! Loved the piece ... which pretty much shows off that Ebenezer style we discussed over cheap coffee :-) One of the truly great benefits of this Cinevate gig is that we get to meet truly inspiring artists in all shapes, forms and styles from all over the world. You and Katie are truly special regardless of whether we're looking at your collective images, or having our beer goggles featured in them.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com
Thanks Dennis! We really appreciate your kind words and support!

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
Hey Matt,

I thought it was a really sweet piece. I was DYING to see some Steadicam/Glidecam fly through those straight rows of trees though! :)

Have you tried using a monopod with the 5D? I would venture to say that it's definitely an under-rated tool. The DSLR rigs are great but I still noticed some slight shake in the footage. I just picked up a cheaper SLR rig from Cavision Rods Support and Accessories that works quite well. If you bring it along with a monopod on a shoot like this, it would definitely give you 2 versatile tools particularly since you seemed to be doing shots that were mainly at "eye level".

How much are you loving the look of the 5D footage though? :)
Hey Bruce! Thanks for taking the time to check this out and to comment on it. You can definitely shoot steadier than I do with the DSLR rig but I tend to hold my gear fairly loosely because I like the movement it introduces. So, any shakiness you see is more my 'fault' than the rigs.

I've noticed in a lot of monopod footage I've seen that there is some weird side to side movement, possibly caused by the foot of the monopod rotating slightly on the ground. That's what has kept me away from them, plus the desire to carry as little gear as possible.

As for the look of the 5D footage ... it doesn't get much better! Totally loving it!

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Major Player

Matthew,

Good stuff man, good to see you're rockin that 5DmkII man. LOVE the framing/shot compositions... I'm a sucker for the shallow DOF walk into focus shots, doesn't hurt to have such good looking subjects either! Keep it up man!

The Cinevate stuff is just awesome... spent a lot of time in their booth at NAB, I saw you there a lot as well. I agree with you about the aesthetics of the Cinevate stuff, but you're right, it is the must functional and most durable stuff on the planet, not to mention bang for buck it beats out anything out there!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Matthew's style! Love it!
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Great Work

Matt
Saw your work 2 days ago, really nice - the song choice and they way it was shot was on point. The shot at 0:24 was awesome - the use of sunlight as backlight on both of them. A fan of your work most definitely. Not sure if you remember but we met in Toronto when you came in to the store with Patrick, but anyways - real nice work.

- Prashanna
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #15
Major Player

Matthew, can I ask whether you convert the footage to 25p or just stayed 30p?

Thanks

Santo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery