Wedding sequence for review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Wedding sequence for review
John De Rienzo John De Rienzo is offline June 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM

You know the feeling you get when your constantly juggling clips around and would like to fit them all in, but you can't!

I have had one of those edits!

Appreciate feedback.

Cheers,

De Rienzo Films Preview | Wedding Video

John De Rienzo
Major Player
Views: 1274
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
You know the feeling you get when your constantly juggling clips around and would like to fit them all in, but you can't!
I completely relate with what you're going through. It seems like with some edits there is a battle going on between me and the footage. Unfortunately I've found that those situations don't end up in my best work. I feel like I'm trying too hard, whether its attempting to shoehorn footage where it doesn't belong, realizing the music doesn't work after its too late, or trying to move the pace along at a pace that isn't comfortable. That's the impression I get from your piece. It feels a little frantic.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Joel, I like frantic!,lol....

Yes had a late night with this one, but I am pleased with it, it just took forever to do...maybe I need a few early nights, well earlier than 4 am.

Cheers.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post

Appreciate feedback.

Cheers,

I know what you mean.

However, in your sample, you can really still remove a lot of scenes there without harming the overall video. There are so many dead or non essential scenes there that you can gain 5 seconds easy. In fact, you can gain 20 seconds overall if you cut them off properly.

Also, here's my take on the editing process.

- If you are time bound or music bound, then always be aggressive on limiting your images. No ifs and buts. Why make it tough? Limit it. Be ruthless in cutting. That's what great editors do.

- You can always extend the music/audio. I do that sometimes. But for me, it's not that I have so many great images that needs to be fitted in a limited time frame. For me, it's making the narrative meaningful. If I can't do it with aggressive/ruthless cutting, I just extend the music. You can do this by the following method:

1- insert the extension by re-using a stanza or segment. E.g. - you have a Chorus going on next, after 2 regular stanzas. Then just add another stanza, then do the Chorus. You are not constrained to do the chorus just yet.

2- Or if the Chorus can be re-used again, even after it's done, then just extend the time by re-using the chorus

3- Extend by re-issuing the instrumental part. If you have an instrumental rift, then just re-do it again. Extend the same instrumental or add the same instrumental in another part of the song.

4- when you lower music track for the vocals or voice-overs or what not, lower the music and then slip in the extended version of the same music there. Or re-start the segment within the lowered segment. E.g. You are half way through the song. But you have the voice-overs or the regular audio for that scene coming in. As it comes in and you lower the music, re-use or re-start from 1/4 or 1/3 of the song so you can you gain more time till the end. Nobody will know you slipped this in as they are busy listening to the voice over or the audio on the regular scene.

You can add 20-30 seconds easy with these methods. You can even go as high as a minute if you know how to juggle it well. Regardless, you are not constrained within the time frame or the song length. Normally, 30-45 second is enough to get those extra images in.

Of course, there are other tricks like speeding up a scene so you can fit in another. Use jump cuts, time shift effectively, etc. There's others you can use up your sleeve. But trust me, in your video, you have lots of scenes that you can still cut. You really do.

Now, if you think otherwise, well, just follow the tip and extend your time by extending the music.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey John, I liked that clip alot but like the others I found it to have too many unnecessary shots in it. That's the hard part about a demo you make for yourself...you gotta remove yourself from the shots you put in and look at them from the standpoint of "do I already show this style of shot? Will this shot alone land me a job?" stuff like that.

Personally I liked most of your shots and it's above and beyond any work I've done, but I thought the whole piece was a bit too dark and the blacks were a bit too crushed. I've always liked crushed blacks but I think a wedding needs to be bright.

all in all though cheers on a good piece.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Mel, thank you for taking the time not only to view, but for your extensive feedback.
I agree on the majority of what you say.

David, thx also for your comments. I think the darker mood is enhanced by vimeo which does a good job of darkening scenes in it's conversion process!

There will always be things I would do differently in a re-edit, but time is not on my side here as I am inundated with edits...

Cheers.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Major Player

I think its a great collection of clips and the editing gives it lots of flair. I've personally moved away from generic demos in favor of showing the clients what their 'final' movie will look like. But if you're looking for something that 'grabs them by the eyeballs', nothing beats a high-energy piece like you've created. My concern would be that the client might expect the same high-energy effects-heavy feel throughout their edited long-form wedding. All a matter of managing expectations.

The ending shot was great, as were many of the steadycam shots. I would have wished to see more of brides faces during emotional moments of the ceremony (as my feeling is that most brides are the deciders when it comes to video). Isn't the saying 'if they cry, they buy'?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Oren,

Thank you for your comments, always appreciate your feedback.

I think more of the bride's faces is what I would change! and hoping clients can understand it's a demo, although I do like my edits to be as upbeat as possible with some romance thrown in! so it will give them an idea.

Once they receive our samples they will see a lot of different variety from romantic etc to more upbeat and I always ask what they prefer for their particular edit...expressing how important music selection is and how powerful it can be etc.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery