Jon & Katie - a Love Story Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Jon & Katie - a Love Story Video
Bill Vincent Bill Vincent is offline October 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Shot and edited this weekend... hot out of the oven. Shot with the 5D and A1s, edited with FCP and Pro Tools audio. Comments and suggestions always welcome! :)

Jon & Katie - Our Story on Vimeo

Bill Vincent
Major Player
Views: 1669
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey all,

Just hoping to get some feedback on this before it slips completely off the radar here... anyone?
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Bill,
I like simplicity and this hit the spot. Short and to the point and it told the story and IMO that's what the 'love story' should do. If showing it at the reception I'm sure it'll be a hit.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Don, I sincerely appreciate the feedback! Your perceptions are correct - I was going for a very simple look with mostly static shots that let the subjects provide the motion. I also tried to pay close attention to the music with the piece, intercutting the interviews and working to make it flow while still providing actually quite a bit of interview time over the music.

Things I still want to do better with: 5D focus and color correction and grading.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vincent View Post
Hey all,

Just hoping to get some feedback on this before it slips completely off the radar here... anyone?
Hey Bill,

Since you're looking for feedback.

I love the opening shot with the pillars, but the first shot of Katie looks super 8 (washed out, blown out, and pretty soft) which is ok if that's what you're going for but it didn't seem to match any other shots in the piece. The shot (at 00:56) where the couples come together with flowers is also a little blown out (to get detail in the subjects), and I just think you might have found a better setting for that shot. It's much better when you reverse the angle at 2:23.

All in all a nice job though and I'm sure the couple will love it.
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

simple and well done...some of the shots were from Centennial park right?? those pillars looked familiar then I realized you were a Nashville local!! cool..one small gripe..I've heard that song on like 3 other wedding related clips this week.I think it's getting to me..haha
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Brendan, yes, that's Centennial Park - and yes, that song is getting overused! LOL! That's what she wanted, of course. :)

In response to Ken's comments, I did tweak that shot of Katie to look 8mm-ish - it works okay but the reason I did that was because the original shot was out of focus.... grrrr. That's what I was saying when I said I need to work on 5D focus. I would swear that shot was in focus on Katie when I did it! (how many times have we all said that??? ;) And yes, there are a couple of blown out shots, not terrible but I probably could do more to tweak them and improve the look - good catch.

Overall I'm really pleased with this - I feel it really captures them very well and the clip really can make you smile, which I like. :)
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery