a nothing special wedding highlight! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
a nothing special wedding highlight!
Stephen J. Williams Stephen J. Williams is offline October 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

After reading and taking comments on what the majority is doing in regards of shooting photoshoot vs reception setup and cocktail hour... I decided for the first time to skip out on the photo shoot and grab some shots of the reception setting up. I might not have been able to tell the story well in this HL but I think the fully edited video will benefit from those particular shots. I think this will be the path I'll take in the future....

Steve

Stephen J. Williams
Major Player
Views: 1242
Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Haha - 'nothing special' - way to sell yourself Steve.

I thought you did a fantastic job with this one - thanks for giving the background and reasoning behind it too. It's an interesting approach skipping the photo shoot but works well here.

Excellent, excellent song choice and suited the edit perfectly (did I mention it was an excellent song choice?).

There was a couple of rough patches with some of the handheld stuff and some zooms, but overall it suited the intimate, organic feel of the piece. One thing I would watch is the competing levels with the background music vs. natural audio. Couple of spots it was hard to make out what was being said.

Honestly - I would encourage you to have a look at your work from 6 months ago and see how far you've come. It's a credit to your dedication...

Now - time to double your prices...

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
Honestly - I would encourage you to have a look at your work from 6 months ago and see how far you've come. It's a credit to your dedication...

Now - time to double your prices...

Cheers,

Matt.
I trully second that... way to go stephen! so happy for you! love the ring shot btw

Santo
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

Steve & Co. DJs? I'd recognize that voice and party hats from a mile a way. :) Great job thanks for sharing. PS What was this shot with?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Matt and Santo...

Thanks for the input and watching the clip... I agree that some of the shots weren't ideal. One that comes to mind is with the bride in front of the window. I told her to first look at the camera that way she knows where to turn and smile. During that time I made my adjustments. Then we executed the shot but it didn't look natural... So I decided to go with the one that had the most natural look despite the camera flaws. Another one was catching the cake in the kitchen. It was kind of a call backdrop then what I'm used to filming... Nothing was planned and I was just running and adjusting WB and other settings on the fly.

I've been trying to convince my wife to let me buy a new tripod setup since mine is a little undersized. I've almost broke her down :-)

I compare my work all the time and happy to see the difference in quality. I remember wondering what my style was a few months back but it slowly coming to me. I still have a way to go and learn a lot from the both of you...

Thanks for the comments...

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Steve & Co. DJs? I'd recognize that voice and party hats from a mile a way. :) Great job thanks for sharing. PS What was this shot with?
Glen...

Yep Steve & Co DJ's.... I remember working with him on my first wedding I ever filmed up here... I don't think you can forget his personality and ability to really get the party going.

Thanks for watching... It was shot with a JVC HD200U
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Really exciting work Stephen! I love seeing preparation details in weddings, and you really did the job there! And of course I will also agree that your soundtrack selection was an excellent match to the mood of the event!
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Trustee

Ciao Stephen,

I really enjoyed that! And great song. I haven't heard that in ages, and it worked very well.

You're the king of extreme detail closeups, which is growing on me. Love the cake cutting with the kid in the background.

IF I had to nitpick, I would say watch the unnecessary jump cuts, lower the song volume during the priest's dialogue, and make your audio transitions more gentle.

Looked dark to me, too, but I just bought a new monitor and it's not calibrated. So that could easily just be me.

Nice work.

By the way, how did you embed the vimeo clip right in the forum? Really convenient. Did you manually add the HTML?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery