Some Feedback Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Some Feedback Please
Brian Mercer Brian Mercer is offline February 4th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I have poked around on the forum a few times, posted a few times. Well I thought it was time to step up and get some constructive feedback. I am posting a link to one of our "coming soon wedding trailers". Let me know what you think.

A little company background so you know where we are coming from: We have two shooters, myself (Brian) and my buddy Mike. We also co-own the company together. The same two shooters work together on all the weddings/events. We alternate who edits the final products.

We are looking for some likes, dislikes, improvements, keep up the good work, whatever will help us get to the next level.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the link.

-Brian

Brian Mercer
Regular Crew
Views: 1364
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Major Player

The music (and quite a few scenes) begs for some voice over audio. I think you'd see a vast improvement adding some of the vows, or laughter, etc.
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Brian,

Overall, I thought it was very good... but if you do want to take it to the next level... just a few things I noticed.

shot of bridal prep at 00:30 may have been better if shot from the window side of the room as the glass door is distracting and the lighting is mixed temp.

Straightaway shot down aisle starting at 00:55 - tripod isn't level. Looks to be the same at 01:06 recessional. You should be able to fix it easily in post.

I would have liked to see a little camera movement in the form of a slider or glidecam (not handheld!). If you said you shot this solo, I wouldn't expect it but because you have two capable camera ops, I'd expect a little more.

I think you've proven that you can shoot safe, now maybe it's time to move beyond to the next level.

All in all though it's very nicely done.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you both for the response. Very helpful and I welcome more.

Ken, suggestion on the slider vs the glidecam? I have been looking at the glidecam for a couple of months. Everything I read seams to point toward getting the vest and arm due to weight and extended use. Only able to purchase one, which do you think is the more immediate purchase?

-Brian
Brian Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Brian..

I agree with Aaron... A little bit of VO would have taken this to another level.
What's the name of the font that you chose to use?

I have just recently started using a slider. Before I was more of a static shooter. I would try to achieve a shallow DOF on almost every shot. I was desperately missing a good way to add in camera movement (besides handheld). A slider gives me the moves I was looking for.

Great video...

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for sharing Brian! I am sure that your clients loved it...

My 2 cents :)

-need to add some movements to your shots, static shots are too safe...
-I would agree with the voice over suggestions...
-If you are making a trailer you have to ask the question "would someone (aside from the bride and groom) be inclined and excited to watch the entire video after seeing the trailer...
-Not a fan of slow instrumentals for trailers but that is just a matter of style...

overall this is a nice video..keep up the good work!

Kren
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Kren.
Brian Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Brian,

You have a lot of solid shots in there. Along with what the others said about adding in some VO, I would say watch the constant dip/fade to black between shots. It can be very effective when used properly and sparingly, but when done too much it becomes distracting IMO. Good work!
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sarah,

Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time. Really appreciate it.
Brian Mercer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery