My first video for the forum to watch! Thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM   #1
My first video for the forum to watch! Thoughts?
Kelly Langerak Kelly Langerak is offline March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM

I'm gonna be brave and post my first clip for you guys to check. Mind, I have been only doing this since 2009 and my equipment isn't the best. But, I would like your feedback.

I tried fixing the more shaky shots, but FCP and Motion wasn't enough.

This was the introduction.

My first "movie trailer".

Kelly Langerak
Major Player
Views: 1684
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

Firstly remember everyone has a different style and thinks differently so get as many critiques as you can. Remember too that you are ASKING for comments so don't get downhearted if your style is ripped to pieces... as long as it's constructive comments!!

What I liked : Nice coverage, interesting shots, sharp focus. You didn't miss much so your bride will be happy

What I didn't like : Transitions ...I personally think they are so tacky but others will disagree!! In the beginning you had too many fast cuts to similar camera angles..they almost created a jump edit. OK, again, just me but I think you pan way too fast ..if you pan slower you will also be smoother... the viewer needs to take in the visual information.
I also don't like snap zoom ins which you use a lot but that's just me. You tend to also pan to a subject and then zoom in fast just a short way but then again that's also me.

I sure that the top guys will give you some constructive advice as well!!!

Overall you did a really nice job!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

No, bring it on. I don't mind. Thanks Chris!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Kelly,

I watched both and have to agree about the transitions. We have all been there at some point! but they are more of a distraction than actually adding anything to the piece.

Aim for straight cuts 99% of the time and choose your shots carefully to avoid jump cuts or any jarring between sequences.

I also found the handheld shots a little shaky for my liking. The use of some stabilzer or support would have helped. I also missed the exclusion of live sound.

The trailer was somewhat better, but again the handheld shots took away from the piece and I am not a big fan of too many titles with effects inbetween. Maybe I have just seen too many! Nice way for the Groom to save for a ring BTW!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John De Rienzo
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

The only real problem after seeing a new comment, seems to be your camera movement? I am now guessing (from other posts) that you are shooting with a 7D DSLR ??? If you are you are probably trying to use it like a still camera rather than as a video camera.

If I'm wrong then my apologies but it does seem that whatever you are using, it's small so getting the wobbles during movement is very easy!! You might want to mount it on a rig for better stability...small cameras are hard to control smoothly...either a shoulder mount rig where some extra weight and more natural hand positions would be better or a fig type rig will make your life a lot easier!!

Chris
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Your right. These videos were shot with the Canon Vixia HF20 on a Birns and Sawyer Shoulder Mount.

It's very hard to create smooth smoother shots.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

add a slight contrast and a little saturation...the colors look dull :D
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Major Player

wow i was expecting a lot worse after you downplayed it.
everything on the first one was going fine till out of the blue you went from cuts to completly disconnected inapropriate transistions? did you get a new transistion package this week :-) used carefully with nice blends and all sometimes the exact right one in the right place would work, those didnt. and you really cant go from fast hard cuts to say a blended hearts dissolve transistion unless it was going somewhere special.
overall i LIKED the speed , because i didnt want to watch another wedding video highlights thing again, it rocked.

The second video i stopped watching :-( i am not going to go through that again, black fade black fade black fade on and on, i am outta here.
it was going to be so good too. at the most use black fade to get to and from your titles, then toss them, use a smooth clean dissolve instead. you kept turning off my view, so i turned it off one last time.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Kelly

Thanks!! According to other posts, you have ordered an EX1 so that will make a huge difference by having a decent sized chunk of camera to hold!! The HF20 is so tiny it's pretty hard to hand hold even with a rig cos it's so light!!

I also agree with Marty!! One person starts these "fade to black/white" showreels to be "cinematic" and it really does tend to make the viewer lose continuity !! I really dislike it when there are fades every few seconds ...as Marty says a dissolve would be way better!!

However, in the 2nd clip I did like the way you have told a story!!!

Chris
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for all your tips.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery