First five mins of a one hour wedding movie - one cinematographer - my second wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old June 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
First five mins of a one hour wedding movie - one cinematographer - my second wedding
Man Yip Man Yip is offline June 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM

one t2i
one hmc40

Man Yip
Regular Crew
Views: 1434
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Man,

There is quite a bit of room for improvement, but I do NOT mean that in a discouraging way. Shooting a wedding is a whole new ball game, even for seasoned video pros. If the second wedding I ever shot got out I would die of embarrassment.

The two suggestions I will offer you are quite simple to watch your focus and movement. There are quite a few soft and shaky shots. It looks like you are using the T2i either handheld, or with a poor tripod. If this is true, my main recommendation would be to invest in a good tripod. It is an investment that will pay you back, because a good tripod you will have twenty years from now.

Also, I wanted to ask what you were using to record the ceremony? It sounds like you are using on board sound. If this is the case, again, invest in a good wireless mic kit. It hurts to spend the cash, but like a tripod, a properly cared for wireless mic kit should last you got a good long while.

Either way, I'm sure the couple will enjoy it. Keep watching the work of others, reading these forums, and working on your skills, and you will see major improvements in no time.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mattew,

Thank you very much for your generous response, I greatly appreciate that you taking the time to critic my amateur-ish filming style.

To answer your question, the sound quality was bad because I simply plug in the Rode mic to the camera, but I recently bought a Tascam DR-07, maybe it will help with the sound quality. At the moment I really don’t have any extra money to spend on anything else. Hopefully I will get enough booking and invest in a better sound system.

And yes, the camera was hand hold, because I only have one tripod for the main cam HMC40. Do you have any suggestion on a beginning tripod? Ahh, tripod can get so expensive.

I have been reading this forum every day since last winter, and every day I discover new things. So much to learn!

Again, thank you for your advices!

By the way, here is my first wedding and first highlight with HMC40 only.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Man,

I would recommend a bogen 561bhdv monopod for your t2i. It will allow you to be more mobile but provide ample stabilization when needed. It's the most used piece of support gear I use (I shoot all 7D for my wedding productions).

cheers
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Def get a good tripod. Buy an OK one and you'll kick yourself further down the road. Miller for $1300 ish is what I have and will never have to buy another again and all my second videographers see why when I let them touch it.

I got the Monfrotto Monopod and use that for my 7D as well for when the bride is walking down the aisle then I go to main tripod.

I should point out some of the editing to you. If you were to show this to potential brides or clients they may be a bit bored.

2 reasons.

The music is not what potential brides want to listen too. You may have used it for certain reasons for that particular client but it drags the story.

The clips are way too long. During the Ceremony the camera was mostly on the Groom when he was crying. This is great to shoot for 15 seconds then get the bride and her reaction. Soon to be brides want to see almost all bride, so make sure you achieve that in your final product. When a bride is trying on her jewelry or shoes (a must have shot) it will take her a while to put it on. Get 3 different angles of this, not just one. Get more closeups and use the part of the clips that have them laughing and smiling.

My first and second video were horrible as well.

Keep it up.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery