Finally my first SDE (semi)!! .. Andrew + Inex // the Wedding Highlight SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Finally my first SDE (semi)!! .. Andrew + Inex // the Wedding Highlight SDE
Johannes Soetandi Johannes Soetandi is offline September 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Hey guys!

This is our very first SDE (semi)!! I was pretty nervous going into last Sunday . I only started editing at 6pm, I thought I would finish close to 10pm earliest.. But thankfully, I was able to complete it at around 8pm.. then plenty of time to help with shooting the speeches etc and finally show it to the happy audiences around 9.30pm.. I made it semi-SDE because I want to play safe for my first try..

I realised I need to control my other shooters more, as we kept on shooting each other. I guess we need to use our tele more and start shooting from distance away... Also, outdoor wedding away from shades is proven to be hard for me, I can't see my viewfinder clearly.. I need to learn & practice more!!!!

The wedding was super windy.. my audio is just crappy, which is why I didn't include in the video.. This is another headache for me when doing the full DVD :( ..

But all in all, I am very proud to be able to finally do this.. something that I've always wanted to do. Hope to do more so that I can improve more and more.. I LOVE WEDDING VIDEO! :)

Any comments and inputs are appreciated! :)

Johannes Soetandi
Major Player
Views: 1699
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Trustee

That looked really tough with harsh light and wind. Would sugges to get a variable ND filter to handle the harsh light outdoors. That way you can use a faster aperature and get shallow DOF.

Good effort for a 1st time =)
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Major Player

did you use an MP3? The audio sounds really choppy. Next time convert to AIFF or the like before editing, a lot of NLE's don't play nice with MP3 and you get that choppy, jittery, effect that is unpleasant on the ear.

I also agree with pick up some ND filters, It will help with some of the out door exposures.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, will definitely add ND filter in my list!! Any brand recommendation?

and thanks for the audio suggestion, will try .aiff next time.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Major Player

congrats on your first SDE my friend. I'm sure you've learned a lot from it. It can only get better from here on!
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Santo! My assistant turns out to be a talented videographer too, so I'm considering on going 3 cameras on next wedding.. less pressure.. heheh.. :P

We're also having a workshop just to get our minds together so that we all have same shooting style. At the moment it seems like we're still not that 'connected' yet! I'm confident the next one will be better :)
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Congratulations Johannes. Not bad for a first. The audio for the vows must be a challenge considering how windy it is.

I am just curious, how do you guys present the SDE, the format is 16:9 and most of the screens out there are 4:3? Do you crop what is shown?
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Noel.. come to think of it, I'm not even sure! I only did a direct VGA connection from my MBP port to the LCD projector.. but I honestly can't remember whether there's any cropping.. from memory I think it looked fine... I think..
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Good job Johanne.... i can only see you get better and better...but holy mackerel that wind is nasty, good luck with the audio..same thing happened at my own wedding where the video guy we hired only used his on camera mic when the wind was howling about 50 miles/hr so the whole ceremony audio sounded like an oncoming typhoon :(

kREN
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Kren :)
Yeah, I even had a hard time trying to get my Merlin steady and even my camera on the tripod is about to set off! I'll make sure my own wedding is far from the beach line! :)
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery