DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First Wedding shot on DSLR last July... Anne & Cameron (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/494803-first-wedding-shot-dslr-last-july-anne-cameron.html)

Ryan Czaplinski April 19th, 2011 02:22 PM

First Wedding shot on DSLR last July... Anne & Cameron

I have shot a lot since this time, but this was my test run couple using DSLR for my wedding videography. Quite a few brides have said they cry when they watch it because it was emotional for them. I tell them that's the best comment I could receive.

I know on a technical level there aren't many dolly shots and big wide angles, but I go for more close up and intimate shots and aim to hopefully make people feel like they were a part of it even though they weren't there. Of course I have learned a ton since this time, but I don't think it was a bad first run! The couple wanted to feature the song that was in there. Many couples really want music they are familiar with and it's hard to incorporate royalty free stuff as much as I prefer using it. I know many Wedding highlights contain copyrighted music and shouldn't beat myself up over it too much, but still, you know...

It was very interesting transitioning from using a traditional professional camcorder to DSLR, but I absolutely love it despite the "limitations".

Enjoy!

Michael Simons April 19th, 2011 08:13 PM

Re: First Wedding shot on DSLR last July... Anne & Cameron

Nice job. Just don't let brides tell you what songs to use. Make 2 versions of the video. One with her song for her own personal video and the other with a song you feel best portrays your work. I recently had a bride that wanted to use a really bad country song for her Trailer. So I made her a copy with that song, but no way that was going on my website.

Ryan Czaplinski April 19th, 2011 08:22 PM

Michael-

The hard thing with that is finding 2 songs that would universally work well with the edited piece, otherwise you might be editing twice to match the feel of the music.

For next year I think i'll be pulling that option from my packages and if they bring it up then maybe it could be discussed, but otherwise I won't bring it up initially, hehe.

I had a wedding like that where they insisted on one song and I was just thinking in my head, "That song wouldn't accurately represent the day well." The song I wanted to use was more upbeat and not in the particular genre they wanted, but somehow I made it work and they did love it. Sometimes stuff like that can add a whole other level of dynamic that could ruin the original vision since music does play a pretty big role in the highlight cut process.

Michael Simons April 20th, 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Czaplinski (Post 1640930)
Michael-

The hard thing with that is finding 2 songs that would universally work well with the edited piece, otherwise you might be editing twice to match the feel of the music.

For next year I think i'll be pulling that option from my packages and if they bring it up then maybe it could be discussed, but otherwise I won't bring it up initially, hehe.

I had a wedding like that where they insisted on one song and I was just thinking in my head, "That song wouldn't accurately represent the day well." The song I wanted to use was more upbeat and not in the particular genre they wanted, but somehow I made it work and they did love it. Sometimes stuff like that can add a whole other level of dynamic that could ruin the original vision since music does play a pretty big role in the highlight cut process.

Initially edit it to the song that you choose. Her song is going to ruin it anyway.

Kren Barnes April 23rd, 2011 01:49 AM

Good job however i agree with Michael on this one..although its probably more work to edit a second trailer , it should be well worth it... Cheers

Kren
Vertical Video Works* Winnipeg Wedding Videography

Victor Boyko April 28th, 2011 10:31 PM

hey what equipment did you use? specifically the stabilization system?

Tim Bakland April 30th, 2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Simons (Post 1641170)
Initially edit it to the song that you choose. Her song is going to ruin it anyway.

It's a toughie, I know, but I would think client first, portfolio second.