OK, critique my Save The Date at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
OK, critique my Save The Date
Lisa Maxwell Lisa Maxwell is offline May 19th, 2011, 12:55 PM

I'm holding my breath and ready to receive the blows. Aside from my focusing issues please help me get better by telling me what you might do differently, and lo and behold if there's anything that is likable, let me know that too! : )

Note: everyone was about an hour late so the sun was much lower than I would have preferred, and I forgot I had an ND filter on my Glidecam. I'm ordering a loupe today, if only I can decide which one will work best for weddings...I don't want to glue anything to my cam, and I don't want to spend as much as the Zacuto runs for.

password: SR2011

Lisa Maxwell
Regular Crew
Views: 9257
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: OK, critique my Save The Date

password isn't working
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, took password off...don't know why it didn't work?
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Did you frame the speakers that way for a reason, the framing is way off. The overexposed shots are pretty bad. The mirror shot is salvagleable I suppose, but you need to do what you can with it, it's lacking in contrast and just doesn't look too good, IMO.

It may be possible the grass shot was overexposed on purpose, but I would lose it...overall look of the indoor shots was weak.

What I'm thinking is: If you cannot see these things, you could be in trouble. If you're planning on shooting weddings for pay with two Canon 60Ds, you should definitely keep your prices very low for the next year.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK, tell me how to frame better. I'm with you. I know this isn't a million dollar piece here. This is why I need your help. I do see these things. As do you. Keep your help flowing please.

I used a vintage lens and it gave me improper exposure readings. We ran out of time, and it can clearly be seen.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I thought you had the material to make a fun save the date video BUT I think the main problem is somewhat more technical. You already pointed it out that you had focussing issues and that I think is your priority nr one, a dslr with a fast prime wide open does not forgive, you have to get that right or it will stick out like a sore thumb. I got my zacuto look a like loupe from ebay ( a polish supplier) for about 50 dollar which attaches with a magnet and works really well. Especially in sunlight it's a must have.

There were also some outside shots where the white balance seemed totally off, did you apply a manual preset for WB? Auto-wb on dslr's is not very reliable.

Framing: Now I thought you did really well on the interviews, wel lit, nice natural color but the framing was odd, it works better if you do it like this: Shortcuts: Framing a TV interview - the mantelpiece - mark waddington blog I think there it's explained as short and simple as necessary. This mainly applies for the shots where they don't look towards the camera.

Also you need to see that your tripod is horizontal as some shots in that field it was standing quite crooked.

Sound; on my headphones I got the voices more on the left and music more on on the right, that you should avoid, to me it feels like I'm not hearing right out of my right ear when they speak, you definitely should spread out the voice and music more equally over both channels.

Like I said, I think you have the material there to make a fun save the date story but it is all the above I mentioned that is distracting to much.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Noa,

Now THAT'S something I can work with! THANK YOU! I am looking at your link next. I did color correct as it was underexposed. I will go back and readjust. I will also add right and left audio channels.

Can you provide a link to your loupe? I am researching right now which one to get. Might just spend the extra cash and get the Hoodman Cinema Kit. All this money, and so much needed training! Yikes!
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Lisa...

It's a constant learning process. I like to always pick one thing that I thought I did a good job or improved on. Then critique the rest.

I would do a little work on the text in the beginning. To me "simple" is in. Sometimes I spend hours messing around in motion playing with all the functions and options. In the end simple white text over a black background still looks the best.

I think as an editor, you could have done something a little more with the footage from the park. Possibly try giving it that Super 8 look...

Some might disagree... But I've learned to trust my LCD screen. At first I was having issues with my footage being a little bit darker on my computer, so i bumped down the brightness 2 notches. Now I'm completely satisfied with my shots. I only meter my shots here and there.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Hey Lisa...

It's a constant learning process. I like to always pick one thing that I thought I did a good job or improved on. Then critique the rest.

I would do a little work on the text in the beginning. To me "simple" is in. Sometimes I spend hours messing around in motion playing with all the functions and options. In the end simple white text over a black background still looks the best.

I think as an editor, you could have done something a little more with the footage from the park. Possibly try giving it that Super 8 look...

Some might disagree... But I've learned to trust my LCD screen. At first I was having issues with my footage being a little bit darker on my computer, so i bumped down the brightness 2 notches. Now I'm completely satisfied with my shots. I only meter my shots here and there.

Steve
Hey! That's a good idea to use a super 8 look. Yes, Motion sucked me in, I admit.

Funny thing is my LCD/cam meter said it was exposed properly and it wasn't. I trusted it to my detriment.

Last edited by Lisa Maxwell; May 19th, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: momentary dyslexia
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
my LCD/cam meter said it was exposed properly and it wasn't
Which meter is that? On a dslr?

I always expose based on what I see and experience, if you film enough after a while you know when you have it right. I also use a gradual nd fader filter which goes from nd2 to nd400, those I use only on my fast primes, I do this to set the f-stop at f1.4 or f2.0 to get nice shallow dof and use the nd filter to expose right.

Once I"m one a steadicam I use a wide angle and set my f-stop to get a bit more dof, since you move around with this it's easier to knock out focus so I don't prefer a shallow dof here.

About the loupe, there are plenty on ebay, just type in loupe dslr and you get a whole list. You possibly are better of ordering in the usa as otherwise you get higher transportcost and customduties.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Lisa, you should start with learning the basics of filmmaking by going to the library. I am not able to give you a sentence or two to explain framing.

It's called the rule of thirds, and it's a general method for framing ALL shots. It is not always followed, but ANY movie or TV show or documentary follows this general rule for framing for virutally every shot you see everywhere. It is used by photographers, everyone. There are different ways of implenting it for different shots.

But most glaring in your video were the overexposed shots, you really need to learn how to use your camera fast if you have weddings coming up.

You have an LCD, so you really cannot blame the lens for overexposure. I use FD lenses on my cameras also. Focus is an issue with the small screen, but not exposure. If it looks overexposed it probably is.

Try practicing in the park shooting trees, waterfalls, grass, etc. and taking the footage home and playing it right away. This way you can learn how your LCD looks in relation to how the final product looks.
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Trustee

Hey i cant view the peice, is it being worked on just a white screen??
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Inner Circle

just click on the title of the video
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Using all wide shots really made it hard to see the emotion and intimacy between the couple. Except fro an establishing shot, you should really have closer framed shots, ESPECIALLY for something as emotionally driven as this.
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #15
Trustee

Noa cheers...
I wouldnt be to hard on yourself Lisa, the story and flow wasnt bad at all!! What iso was you working at as it looks high instead of looking at your exposure faults! The loupe will definatly help and also what level do you have your lcd screen light on, that will give you a false reading on your eyes.... steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery