Nicole + Victor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Nicole + Victor
Greg Fiske Greg Fiske is offline August 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Looking for feedback on the latest video. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Greg Fiske
Major Player
Views: 1541
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Nicole + Victor

Just a couple suggestions - during the prep there seems to be live audio but the music drowns it out. Next time try to lower the levels and let the real audio move the story along. Also I noticed quite a few shakes like (1:01) that could have been taken out and others where a tripod/monopod should have definitely been used. It looks like you had the groom mic'd but the music played over the vows. Did you have a decent feed?
Jeremy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Appreciate the feedback Jeremy, stabilized that shot. I did get audio for the vows, but chose to save it for the feature film.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sure thing Greg, again those were just a couple things that stood out to me. I also see that you changed the vimeo thumbnail - good choice.
Jeremy Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Greg, nice to connect and actually see some of your work.

Ok, so I have a few tidbits if you're really looking for feedback (sorry I have been know to come off very blunt at times while trying to help :)

Alright, I dig the song a lot, good choice.

(00:03) I think I would leave the name titles for the end.

The opening makeup/dress shots were nice. Would have been good to get her before that point (dress hanging / establishing wide shot of makeup hair etc.)

(01:30) The grooms toast was good accept I really wanted a break to another angle. This is where its good to shoot in pairs. When he mentions his Dad, I would have liked to have seen him.

(01:53) The golfer shot.. why is that there?? Unless that's the groom and there's a story behind it there is no point for this shot. This doesn't qualify for an establishing/cinematic shot either.

(02:00) Walk down the isle shots are also needing elimination. They are drawn out and un-nessasary to build the story.. it waters down the film. Also the angle is rough here.. my focus goes to the woman standing in the foreground with her head cropped off. Just skip to the bride and cut it shorter (did you get a groom reaction shot?)

I think you mentioned that you would save your vows for the "feature film", you need to start thinking like this IS the feature film and not hold back on the short versions.

(02:50) brutal foreground.. check your safety cameras / second shooters and make your move to get a better shot.

(04:50) please don't leave hard panning or shaky shots just lying around.. we all have them in our footage (you don't want to see my raw footage) but make sure you're not publishing it. This shot is also too long.

Additional tips: If you are not using a second shooter, get one and make sure they are solid documentary and start getting creative. Get more into the details (currently there are none.. get a telephoto lens). Right now most of your shots are medium wide. Start shooting in polar opposites, so either tight (200mm) or ultra wide (from 14mm-35). If you're not shooting DLSR now's the time (honestly I can't tell). Get a 50 1.4mm for DOF, this will add a whole new creativity to your shooting. (Can you tell I'm gearing up for our workshop). If you've never used a steadicam/glidecam before, get your hands on one and practice your heart out, but don't use it on a paying gig until your good; a bad glidecam shot is no shot at all! Remember your pacing with cutting, if you notice on TV there is about a 2-3 second cut time in sitcoms.. that's because our attention span drops out otherwise. Lastly.. color grade!

Its all in love :D

Hope that helps

//VM
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Michael,
I've been looking for this kind of feedback and appreciate the bluntness, its valuable ;-) One thing I envy with a studio is being able to get honest feedback within the group.

"I think you mentioned that you would save your vows for the "feature film", you need to start thinking like this IS the feature film and not hold back on the short versions."

Good advice, I had one bride tell me my video's seem like cool music videos. Not the impression I want to give out.

Details, yeah, my weakness. Need to work hard on those. Also still struggling with editing, need to study up on that more. Back to the cutting board.
Greg
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Major Player

I didn't mean for you to re-edit, those were recommendations for improvement when looking forward. Of course it never hurts to dig deeper into an edit to see what polish can be done :D

Did you know we have a workshop at the end of the month locally?
VisualMasterpiece EDU // Workshops visualmasterpiece.com

We'd love to see you there!

-M
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Major Player

WOW Greg I am so proud of you on this!! (Sounds silly right.. no I mean it!!) This re-edit speaks volumes of how serious you are and how willing your are to listen and take on the challenge. We'll done! Rebecka and I Excited to meet you next week.. get ready to rocket to the next level!
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Haha, thanks Michael. Really appreciate all the help.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery